VSO is the world’s leading international development charity that works through volunteers to create a fair world for everyone. At VSO we pride ourselves on doing development differently. We fight poverty not by sending aid, but by working through volunteers and partners to create long-lasting change in some of the world’s poorest regions. We bring key stakeholders together to co-ordinate collective action, from local organisations to national governments. Our programmes in Africa and Asia focus on health, education and livelihoods, with an increasing emphasis on resilience, peace building, social accountability, gender and social inclusion. We’re not about delivering quick fixes, but instead we focus on long-lasting, sustainable change that will improve the lives of generations to come.
We aim to support the creation of decent employment opportunities for young women and men in the green economy, focusing on sustainability and climate change adaptation.
A remote consultant (firm or individual) will research and document green job opportunities and prioritise thematic and sector areas and associated green skills for possible VSO programmatic intervention.
Skills, qualifications and experience
You will need to have the right to work in the country you are residing before you apply.
The ideal candidate would have the following;
•At least a master’s degree in climate, environment and natural resource management, energy policy, international development, business, economics, or a related field.
• Demonstrated experience in consultancy in the development space, preference on green business, green jobs and green skills.
• Proven track record on policy dialogue and cross-institutional collaboration at the highest level, including with representatives of government and non-government partners in East Africa.
• Experience working with a cross-section of stakeholders, including senior government officials, donor governments and organizations, as well as regional organizations.
Competencies and Behaviour
At VSO we believe progress is only possible by working together. Whether you want to join us as an employee, or as a volunteer working in your own country, overseas or online, our selection process includes an assessment based on these core competencies:
• Ability to be open minded and respectful
• Ability to be resilient and adaptive to new situations
• Ability to facilitate positive change and build sustainable working relationships
• Ability to seek and share knowledge
VSO promotes equal opportunities and values a diverse workforce.
VSO reserves the right to close this job early if we receive a sufficient number of applications.
Once you’re ready to apply, click on ‘make an application’ below to complete the online form.
To apply for this job please visit www.vsointernational.org.