Amref Health Africa
Amref Health Africa was founded in 1957 and has since grown to become the largest African-based international health development organization, currently implementing more than 120 programs, directly reaching more than 12 million people across 35 African countries. Headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, Amref Health Africa has offices in ten countries in Africa and an additional eleven advocacy and fundraising offices in Europe and North America. In the spirit of Ubuntu, partnership and networking are key elements of our approach. Amref has a staff complement of over 1,500.
Amref Health Africa is driven by its vision of ‘Lasting health change in Africa’ and its mission ‘To increase sustainable health access to communities in Africa through solutions in human resources for health, health service delivery, and investments in health’.
1. JOB PURPOSE
Reporting to the Director of Finance and Grants, the Grants and Compliance manager will provide leadership for the effective management of the grants scheme of the programmes.
2. PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage the resources for the grant component, ensuring equitable distribution
geographically, per intervention area, and Civil Society Organisations compliance.
- Identify priorities in accordance with Amref’s strategic approaches and mission, and
prudently utilizes project assets to fulfill Amref mission.
- Provide leadership for the grants scheme toward meeting stipulated outcomes and
- Review the grants financial manual and grants operational manual to guide Amref and
partners in the smooth implementation of the grants scheme.
- Provide leadership in financial management training, mentoring, monitoring, reporting and financial systems strengthening of the Civil Society Organisations.
- Receive and review proposal/grant application summaries from field sub grantees and
analyse them for adequacy, efficiency and appropriateness for grant support.
- Update and continuously disseminate proposal guidelines to potential grantees and
ensure sufficient grant demand is created.
- Coordinate, review, amendment and oversee implementation of partner’s agreements/contracts and ensure timely compliance with the provisions of the contract.
- Design and conduct grants related operation research in liaison with the program teams; and Foster Amref’s visibility, programme integration and growth by participating in relevant meetings and developing new grant initiatives.
- Responsible for partners/ Civil Society Organisations with regard to providing technical support on issues that relate to grant utilization and compliance and overseeing cost management.
- Work with the grants officers and field partners to harmonize and foster consistency in communication with all partners on issues that relate to the grant component in the
- Assist in writing concept notes, project ideas and proposals and ensure their timely
- Coordinate the timely review of Civil Society Organisations’ reports, provide feedback and ensure timely disbursement of grants.
- Review and update Civil Society Organisations’ assessment and reporting tools.
- Harmonize reporting and accounting practices of grantees including standardization of costs across the partnership.
- Work with the programme teams and grant officers to document and disseminate best
practices and lessons learned and current issues in grant management on regular basis
(including the grants toolkit).
- Continuously monitor the system to ensure data integrity.
- Supervise and develop the capacity of Grant Officers and Grants Assistants to foster the
effective and timely implementation of the grant component; mentoring and coaching of the Grant Officers.
- Ensuring optimal performance of the grants team.
3. REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) from a recognized University.
- Undergraduate degree in Economics, Commerce, Finance, Accounting or related business field; and Qualified Accountant.
- Five (5) years’ experience in Accounting/Finance and Grants Management.
- Excellent skills in analysis, training and mentoring others.
- Proven skills in project management, documentation, monitoring and evaluation and
- Excellent networking and relationship building to effectively collaborate with NGOs,
GOM, CSOs, FBOs, Institutions and Private sector.
- Excellent computer skills including database management; and Good presentation skills.
- Professional grants management experience within NGOs; understanding of community development.
- Proven capacity building and mentoring of grassroots and National Civil Society
- Grassroots Civil Society Organisations communication language, both written and oral, including report writing.
- Pre-funding assessment of Civil Society Organisations and proposal review; Contract
design and compliance management.
- Data analysis, budget and report review for Civil Society Organisations.
- Developing manuals and tools for grant design & development; and Staff Supervision,
development and mentoring.
- Demonstrated capacity to generate and implement new ideas.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested? Please visit our website https://amref.org/vacancies/ to make your application. You will be directed to our online portal where you will need to create an account in order for you to be able to submit your application. Your application should include a cover letter detailing why you are the best fit for this position and your CV with relevant skills and experience. The closing date will be November 30, 2022. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Duly note that Amref Health Africa does not require applicants to pay any money at whatever stage of the recruitment and selection process and has not retained any agent in connection with recruitment. Although Amref may use different job boards from time to time to further spread its reach for applicants, all open vacancies are published on our website under the Vacancies page and on our official social media pages.
Kindly note that official emails from Amref Health Africa will arrive from an @amref.org address.
Amref Health Africa is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people, and vulnerable adults and expects all staff to share this commitment. Amref Health Africa is an equal opportunity employer and has a non-smoking environment policy