Umodzi Holdings Limited (UHL)
Umodzi Holdings Limited (UHL) is 100% owned by the Government of the Republic of Malawi. UHL is currently managed as a highly prestigious domestic brand under the name ‘Umodzi Park Resorts’ (UPR) and has the following properties at the heart of Malawi’s Capital City of Lilongwe which form part of its business establishment:
- Umodzi Park which comprises the magnificent Bingu International Convention Centre (BICC), Banqueting Hall, a 5-star hotel comprising 130 rooms and presidential suites; and
- The Presidential Village comprising 14 world-class presidential villas which offer unique accommodation and office rental facilities.
- UHL commenced operations in May 2015. Strategic governance of the company is overseen by a non-executive board of directors composed mostly of professionals from both the public and private sectors in Malawi. The Government appoints the board of directors and has investor and sovereign oversight of the company to ensure that it contributes to the national development goals through the travel and tourism sector.
Overall position description
A unique opportunity has arisen for a visionary, experienced, energetic and committed individual to assume the leadership position of General Manager (GM) of Umodzi Park Resorts based at its corporate office in Lilongwe, Malawi.
The GM is responsible for all aspects of operations at the hotel and will thus be the lead ambassador for the brand.
The GM will provide leadership and strategic planning to departments in support of the service culture, maximized operations and guest satisfaction. The GM will report to the Chief Executive Officer.
The GM will take the primary responsibility of being in charge of operations for the hotel ensuring that full compliance to operating controls, SOP’s, policies, procedures are complied with and that the hotel attains profitability as per the Board’s approved budgets. The General Manager will manage the following departments:
- Rooms Division
- Food and Beverage department
oFood and beverage service
oFood and beverage production
- Conference and Banqueting
The ideal candidate should be a seasoned and highly intelligent hotel professional with outstanding, management skills and extensive hands-on experience. Available to work when needed, including weekends, holidays, and nights.
Eligible candidates for this position must have the following attributes:
- Must possess a minimum of first degree in hospitality. A possession of post graduate will be an added bonus. Ten years’ relevant experience in a senior management capacity in a travel, tourism, hospitality, hotel management, business and marketing in an African environment, with in-depth knowledge of hotel management;
- Demonstrable strategic leadership capacity to grow brands through product and service development;
- Demonstrable track record in business growth and profitability;
- A sound understanding of the socio-economic development landscape of Malawi and/or the Eastern and Southern African sub-region;
- Experience and a successful track record in implementation of business strategy;
- Professional reputation and a record of unquestioned professional integrity;
- Proven ability to provide both strategic and operational leadership to translate company goals and objectives into concrete outcomes;
- Demonstrable communication and negotiation skills, networking abilities with a strong command of the English language as a means of communication;
- Strong commitment towards the travel and tourism development goals of Malawi; and,
- Applicants who have successfully managed international hotel chains and/or brands will have an added advantage.
Important leadership qualities
- Strong leadership ability with a strategic mind-set
- Professional business acumen
- Evidence of having led a profitable company/ department
- Outstanding problem solving skills
- Ability to turn-around company fortunes.
- Ability to continuously drive effective results
- Excellent ability to lead and manage
- Effective communication skills at all levels.
Term of office
The GM shall hold office for an initial term of three (3) years and shall be eligible for re-appointment depending on performance for a maximum of one (1) further term not exceeding three (3) years in duration after the initial appointment.
The position offers a competitive remuneration package and benefits commensurate with its seniority, level of skills and experience.
Method of Application
Interested persons who meet the minimum requirements outlined above may forward applications to the address below and to be received no later than close of business on 30th September, 2022.
Applications must be accompanied by:
- A concise letter, outlining how the applicant meets the requirements for this strategic leadership position and providing a written consent to be subjected to whatever recruitment probity checks necessary;
- A detailed curriculum vita with contact details of three traceable referees of good standing;
- Certified copies of academic and professional qualifications;
- A certified copy of a valid identification document (ID) such as a national ID or passport.
Please note that applications that do not meet all the requirements specified above will not be considered. Only shortlisted applications will be acknowledged.
Candidates that previously applied for the position can re-apply.
All applications must go to:
The Comptroller of Statutory Corporation
Department of Statutory Corporations
P O Box 30061
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org