Balaka or Lilongwe
Inter Aide has been working in Malawi since 1992 with interventions around maintenance of water points,agricultural development and community health in the Central and Southern regions of Malawi. In 2008 the Maintenance Projects became independent and targeted to set up AFRIDEV pump maintenance services in the rural areas. The project is implemented in 17 districts.
IA’s programs in Malawi target the whole population of the intervention areas and were not conceived with a specific vocation to have a direct impact on the improvement of gender equality in the communities where the activities take place. Considering the key roles and specific constraints experienced by women in those areas, IA wishes to ensure that the actions carried out meet their expectations, implying that those can first be expressed and taken into account. To reach those objectives, it is first necessary to strengthen the team’s understanding and consideration of gender-specific challenges and opportunities in the projects’ areas.
POSITION: GENDER OFFICER – based in Balaka or Lilongwe based on candidate profile, with regular field trips
Under the direct supervision of the Program Director, She/ He will ensure that gender issues are addressed in all the project activities and will have the responsibility to support the continuous improvement of the gender sensitivity and consideration in Inter Aide projects, by accompanying both project teams (Central and Southern Region) on different aspects in the implementation of gender-oriented actions, supporting or taking part in the gender M&E, conducting specific assessments and studies as well as supporting gender mainstreaming in the project activities and assisting on the review of HR procedures.
- Gain the knowledge of the Maintenance Programs and its different activities.
- Read about gender-oriented studies already carried out by Inter Aide.
- Assess gender mainstreaming in Inter Aide’s activities and propose areas of improvement.
- Participate to the evolution of the Maintenance M&E system, allowing a follow up on how gender-related aspects are handled within IA activities.
- Support the project teams in the implementation of activities,
- Ensure a follow-up of the gender-specific actions implemented.
- Extend the improvement of gender mainstreaming on other fields
- Produce a report summarizing the findings of the mission.
Qualifications, Skills and Experiences
- A Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent) in gender issues, social sciences, or other development-related fields from an accredited higher education institution.
- Specialized training or short course on gender analysis and mainstreaming is an added advantage,
- Experience working with a variety of stakeholders and partners related to gender equality and women’s empowerment in a development context preferably with experience in the field (NGO experience is a plus)
- Experience on providing technical assistance and training in gender related issues
- Excellent research, analytical, synthesis and communication (verbal and written) skills
- Strong inclination towards social and field work, organizational skills, ability to work autonomously and with a team, outstanding social skills, ability to work with people from different background
- Excellent level in computer application software (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), written and spoken command of English and Chichewa, Yao is a plus.
Conditions of Employment
- One-year contract renewable, salary according to the project salary grid, starting first quarter 2023.
- Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply
Method Of Application
Eligible candidates should send applications with CV (3 pages maximum), cover letter and names of 3 traceable referees in one PDF file by 12:00 noon on Monday 19th December 2023, with position title Gender Officer in subject line to: email@example.com
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org