Scope of Work
USAID MALAWI GOVERNANCE FOR SOLUTIONS (GfS)
G2G Technical Assistance Specialist – Mangochi Level
Government to Government (G2G) Technical Assistance (TA) Specialist – Mangochi Level
P ER I O D OF P E RFORM ANCE
B A SE OF OF OERATIONS
POSITION REPORTS TO
Senior Manager for Sector Services
Through the Malawi Governance for Solutions (GfS) Activity, USAID seeks to build on the incremental gains in decentralization and associated service delivery improvements, with the understanding that to make the significant leaps now required for Malawi to meet its own development goals—in the face of a fast-growing, young population—a bold, adaptive, and sustainable approach is required. To successfully remove critical bottlenecks and diffuse effective governance practices, DAI will deploy a locally driven approach—Facilitate, Catalyze, and Scale—drawing on Problem Driven Iterative Adaptation (PDIA) as a core methodology. Through the Facilitate, Catalyze, and Scale approach, DAI will help local stakeholders to tackle the root causes of service delivery failures through best-fit solutions and offer demonstrative models based on positive deviance. Through both process-oriented facilitation and the provisions of technical support and grants, GfS will foster stable, resilient, and more self-reliant partnerships that best position local communities to address their own challenges and contribute to the trajectory of Malawi Vision 2063.
Objectives of the assignment
The G2G TA Specialist will manage the technical activities related to government-to-government (G2G) implementation in Mangochi district. The G2G TA Specialist will provide targeted support to the Mangochi District Council to facilitate the implementation of their risk mitigation plan and provide TA to support success in the G2G. The G2G TA Specialist will support capacity development, as well as a joint monitoring plan for issues identified in a USAID-led public financial management (PFM assessment) and subsequent risks identified. The TA will assist MHDC to prepare documents for verification of milestones, support to improve knowledge and skills, practices and behaviors as needed, as defined in the risk mitigation plan and workplan, provide TA during functional reviews, and prepare regular updates with USAID .
- Tasks & Responsibilities
- Provide targeted TA to MHDC in G2G focal areas
- Design and manage activities to improve capacity of district councilors to serve as effective representatives
- Contribute to design and implementation of an index to measure various components of local governance performance, including planning, budgeting, financial management, administration and internal and external communications and be comparable across districts.
- Collaborate with relevant USAID counterparts to ensure the strong implementation of G2G initiatives and provide capacity development support in weak areas (e.g., procurement, IFMIS, etc.)
- Contribute data and analysis to monthly, quarterly, annual and ad hoc communications and reports, and to ME&L reports
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
- A master’s degree in a related field with a minimum of 10 years of relevant work experience, or a bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 15 years of relevant work experience
- Knowledge of USAID’s donor policies and procedures, particularly as related to grants and procurement
- Experience working with local governments in the areas of public financial management and development planning to identify and address capacity gaps
- Experience working with private sector, national and local government, and donor programs to promote integrated solutions to local challenges
- Experience designing performance indexes
- Proficiency with MS Office software
- Excellent English writing, speaking, and reading skills
To apply for this job please visit phf.tbe.taleo.net.