Project Overview and Role:
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The Finance Officer will support the PROPEL Health and is responsible for ensuring compliance with the Malawi government, donor, and company policies and procedures in the areas of finance and office administration.
Budget, Accounting and Financial Management:
- Help the Finance Manager ensure all finances are managed in alignment with the Malawi government regulations, company and client’s financial policies and procedures
- Support the Finance Manager prepare, review and revise project budgets and expenditure forecasts
- Support the Finance Manager with data entry of forecast figures for activity expenditures
- Help draft field cash requests for Finance Manager to review
- Communicate and follow up with relevant suppliers, consultants, vendors, contractors, and staff with regards to invoices, payments, advances, or finances
- File and review invoices for payments. Ensure necessary review, deliverables, and approvals before submitting to the Finance Manager for review
- Pay attention to invoices and ensure applicable tax withholding and deductions are taken care of as per the Malawi laws and regulations before the Finance Managers reviews and processes payment
- Help maintain bank and petty cash account transaction records and supporting documentations
- Enter data-entry to record all financial transactions in the financial templates provided by HQ, accurately and in a timely fashion. Prepare, review, and submit regular field vouchers and financial reports to the Finance Manager, as deadlines dictate
- Collect bank statements for the bank accounts so the Finance Manager can review cash book and reconcile the accounts
- Help the Finance manager process for applicable tax exemptions and VAT reimbursements during or after procurements
- Assist in end of year financial audit, as required by the Finance Manager
- Other duties as assigned by the Finance Manager
- In consultation with the Finance Manager, assist the project team in the procurement of consultants, vendors, and contractors.
- Ensure that invoices are received, reviewed, approved before the Finance Manager issues payments in accordance with the agreement.
Payroll & VAT:
- Help the Finance Manager process employee salary administration according to Malawi laws, statutory requirements for income taxation, social security and other contributions, medical care, insurance, and other benefits
- Help the Finance Manager ensure payroll is correctly calculated and that salaries and withholdings are paid on time
- Help the Finance Manager process for applicable tax exemptions and VAT reimbursements during or after procurements
- Ensure VAT reimbursement and supporting documentation are submitted to the Malawi Revenue Authority (MRA) on time
- Any other payroll & VAT duties as assigned
- Help the finance manager ensure all payroll, withholding, VAT reimbursement documents are on file for a future audit
- Any other audit duties as assigned.
- 3-5 years of work experience in finance with an international organization and USG-funded project experience
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of professional accounting principles, theories, practices, and terminology as well as principles and accepted procedures associated with USAID regulations is highly desirable
- Previous experience in payroll, expense reporting, invoice processing and ensuring completeness, accuracy, and validity of accounting data of documents
- Previous experience with financial data entry for accounting reports (i.e., field vouchers)
- Previous experience monitoring bank account and advising leadership if the account has insufficient funds for the next month
- Previous experience in assisting with Value Added Tax (V.A.T) reimbursements
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in team-based environment
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Malawi nationals are strongly encouraged to apply for this role
About Palladium – Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact – the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with governments, businesses, and investors to solve the world’s most pressing challenges. With a team of more than 3,000 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of over 35,000 experts, we help improve economies, societies and, most importantly, people’s lives.
Equity, Diversity & Inclusion – Palladium is committed to embedding equity, diversity, and inclusion into everything we do. We welcome applications from all sections of society and actively encourage diversity to drive innovation, creativity, success and good practice. We positively welcome and seek to ensure we achieve diversity in our workforce; and that all job applicants and employees receive equal and fair treatment regardless of their background or personal characteristics. These include: (but are not limited to) socio-economic background, age, race, gender identity and expression, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability, nationality, veteran, marital or Indigenous status.
Should you require any adjustments or accommodations to be made due to a disability or you are a neurodivergent individual or for any other circumstance, please email our team at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be in touch to discuss.
Safeguarding – We define Safeguarding as “the preventative action taken by Palladium to protect our people, clients and the communities we work with from harm”. We are committed to ensuring that all children and adults who come into contact with Palladium are treated with respect and are free from abuse. All successful candidates will be subject to an enhanced selection process including safeguarding-focused interviews and a rigorous due diligence process.