VSO is an innovative International development organisation that contributes towards addressing poverty and disadvantage through the placement of International and National skilled professional volunteers with national partners. In order to deliver our mandate, VSO in Malawi seeks to recruit a Finance and Operations Manager. The position will be based in Lilongwe and will report to the Chief of Party, Unlocking Talent (UT) Project.
The Finance and Operations Manager will be responsible for effective financial, grants, partnership, and contract management of UT programmes, including management and donor financial reporting. financial reconciliations, budget variance analysis, financial analysis, forecasting, income accounting, risk management and donor compliance
Work with programme implementation team led by the Chief of Party to produce timely and updated forecasts and budgets aligned to planned programme activity and manage financial aspects of grants to facilitate sound decision making. Accountable for day-to-day finance operations and related controls including managing in country
finance statutory requirements. Ensure production of accurate internal financial data and external financial statutory reports. Compliance with VSO’s accounting practices and tax requirements (both UK and Malawi); promote continued process improvement; and provide user-focused financial services and a strong control environment.
- Fully qualified Management Accountant (CMA), Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Chartered Accountant (ACCA) license with strong technical accounting skills.
- Skilled finance professional with knowledge of financial management of restricted donor funding, reporting, procurement procedure, grant management, grant equipment and donor rules and regulations for non-profit organisations.
- A strong internal customer/stakeholder focused approach intent on understanding grants in order to support the achievement of aims and objectives effectively.
- Extensive experience of managing restricted funds and donor requirements.
- Ability to communicate effectively to a wide range of audiences, particularly internal and non-technical audiences.
- Experience of successfully leading change programmes in response to changing internal and external environments.
- SUN systems/Q&A XL experience.
- Experience in the not for profit and International Development sectors.
- Able to undertake occasional international travel.
- Commitment to VSO’s work and values.
- Malawi language or one of the ethnic languages from Malawi.
- Experience of working in Southern Africa or in a developing country context.
If you meet the above requirements, please find more details about the position and how to apply from the following web address:
To submit your application, click on ‘Apply now’ and complete all relevant fields on the online application form. Kindly ensure that you have attached your latest detailed CV. The position is open to Malawian Nationals only.
Applications to reach us on or before 22nd November 2022.