POSITION TYPE: Full Time, Local Hire
DURATION: 1 year with extension
LOCATION: Lilongwe, Malawi (Note that Project HOPE will not be covering relocation expenses)
POSITION TITLE: Finance and Operations Manager
DIVISION: Global Health
REPORTS TO: PH Malawi Country Representative
Project HOPE is an international NGO with employees and volunteers who work around the globe, responding to the world’s most pressing global health challenges. Throughout our 60-year legacy, Project HOPE has treated millions of patients, provided more than $3 billion worth of medicines to local health care organizations around the world helped build hundreds of health programs from the ground up, and responded to humanitarian crises worldwide.
Code of Conduct
It is our shared responsibility and obligation to treat each other with respect, take affirmative steps to prevent matters involving Sexual Exploitation & Abuse and Trafficking in Persons, and to disclose all potential and actual violations of our Code of Conduct, which may include Conflicts of Interest, Fraud, Corruption, Discrimination or Harassment. Together we can reinforce a culture of respect, integrity, accountability, and transparency.
BACKGROUND ON ANAPA:
The purpose of the USAID-funded Ana ndi Achinyamata Patsogolo (ANAPA) project is to prevent new HIV infections by ensuring equitable access to and use of health, HIV, and social services among children, adolescents, their families, and young women in Malawi. The ANAPA project is led by Project HOPE Namibia, with Project HOPE US, the Lilongwe Catholic Health Commission (LCHC), and the Association of Social Workers (ASWIM) in Malawi as sub-partners. As part of our scope, Project HOPE US is providing high quality technical assistance to consortium members and Government of Malawi structures to build local capacity in the implementation of evidence-based, structured interventions, data management, and program monitoring, evaluation, and research.
The Finance and Operations Manager will maintain all accounts and financial records of Project HOPE Malawi by accurately recording and monitoring all daily financial transactions in accordance with Project HOPE’s policies and procedures and organizational guidelines. They will prepare budgets, manage and reconcile accounts payable and receivable, prepare payment requisitions, assist with external audits, generate financial reports, and maintain a complete filing system to support the financial records and transactions of Project HOPE Malawi. The Finance and Operations Manager will lead on all operational and administrative functions, overseeing the HR & Admin Officer.
- Receive and review all procurement requisitions from the regional offices and program staff and collect all necessary information and documents before submitting them for approval.
- Coordinate and collaborate with staff and units to ensure efficient and effective dispatch and receiving of all goods, supplies and services required for timely, high-quality performance of the project.
- Coordinate with staff and units to initiate, document, track, and report on procurement, distribution, and delivery of goods and services.
- Establish and maintain updated records of procurement, logistics, asset inventories, movements (including staff movements), vendor price/cost analyses, vendor performance, local procurement and logistics laws, etc.
Finance and Accounting:
- Prepare all payment requisitions to suppliers in line with Project HOPE financial policies, donor requirements, and GAAP principles and submit them for approval.
- Enter all payment transactions into QuickBooks and other accounting systems as per various donors’ requests.
- Process all payments through Electronic Financial Transaction (EFT) payments.
- Monitor and control all regional petty cash logs, reconciliations, and replenishments in QuickBooks and other systems as per various donors’ requirements.
- Prepare mid-month and monthly bank reconciliations in order to monitor the movement of funds of all programs.
- Assist in collecting all missing tax invoices to be inserted in the VAT Returns before submission to the Receiver of Revenue.
- Process all payroll statutory payments and other payroll deductions withheld.
- Send Proof of Payments and related breakdowns of all payroll withholdings to the relevant institutions.
- Scan all payment vouchers and email them to Project HOPE HQ monthly.
- Maintain a complete filing system of electronic- and paper-based financial records.
- Assist the Global Operations & Finance (GOF) Team to institute effective control systems required to minimize risk inherent in the programs.
- Collect all missing supporting documents to be attached to payments as per donors’ requirements.
- Assist the Malawi Country Representative and GOF team with all budget and cash forecast preparations.
- Assist the GOF team to prepare an audit file for internal and external auditors.
- Provide support services to technical staff and management to facilitate the achievement of targets.
- Support other Finance and Administrative staff at the regional offices.
- Lead administrative and HR functions and provide guidance on all HR and administrative processes to the HR & Admin Officer and other staff.
MINIMUM REQUIRED SKILLS, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- A bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or business administration. A master’s degree is preferred.
- 7 years’ experience in the field of accounting and administration, preferably with NGOs working on donor-funded health programming.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, and PowerPoint).
- A valid driver’s license is an added advantage.
- A willingness to travel out of duty station and to regional offices.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee must be mobile in an office environment and able to use standard office equipment.
- Must be able to communicate in verbal and written form.
- May experience the current weather while performing job duties.
- Typical office environment with exposure to a minimal noise level.
- Expect to travel fifty percent or more of the time.
- Project HOPE employees work in the global health field and may be required to travel or work in countries where working conditions are classified as “hardship”.
Salary range starting at a daily rate of $100 for an estimated 217 days.
Due to the substantial number of inquiries, we receive, only candidates who have met the required experience & qualifications for this position will be considered. No phone calls please. However, since we are active around the world in the field of public health, we may wish to retain your CV in our database for other/future opportunities, unless you direct us otherwise.
To apply for this job please visit www.projecthope.org.