Family Planning Association of Malawi (FPAM)
Momentum 1 – Family Planning And Reproductive Health Technical Advisor
FPAM mission is ‘to provide quality, accessible and affordable comprehensive sexual and reproductive health and rights information and services for young people, women, men and underserved’, working to reduce maternal mortality and rapid population growth by ensuring that women and young people, mostly underserved and from hard-to-reach areas, have access to information and service options in family planning/sexual reproductive health (FP/SRH) and HIV and AIDS.
FPAM is a member of a consortium led by Palladium that will be implementing a USAID funded multi-year health systems strengthening and service delivery MOMENTUM project, component 1, in Lilongwe, Dowa, Machinga, Mulanje, Chikwawa, Zomba and Mangochi. The project’s goal is reducing maternal, new-born, and child mortality through improved access and quality of health service delivery. In collaboration with the Ministry of Health, FPAM will provide technical support in family planning and Sexual reproductive health and strengthen local capacity to implement high impact quality integrated FP/RH interventions. FPAM is inviting suitably qualified Malawian nationals to fill the position of Family Planning and Reproductive Health Technical Advisor for the project.
The Family Planning (FP) and Reproductive Health (RH) Technical Advisor based at the MOMENTUM 1 project office in Lilongwe will report to the MOMENTUM 1 MNCH/FP/RH Technical Leader with a dotted reporting line to the Director of Programs at FPAM. The Advisor will provide technical leadership for planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of high-quality integrated FP/RH interventions for the USAID-funded MOMENTUM 1 project in Malawi. The high impact interventions include LAPM, LARC, EC, PAC, PPFP, and CBFP.
The advisor will participate and contribute towards MOMENTUM 1 work plans, strategy development, program implementation, program monitoring, and evaluation in relation to FP/RH interventions and approaches across all activities. Additionally, the advisor will provide leadership in the design and implementation of service delivery models to encourage scale-up of FP/RH best practices and quality of care. The advisor will also take lead in developing and strengthening strategies to promote integration of FP and RH interventions.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide technical and strategic guidance on FP and RH that is technically sound, evidence-based and aligns to the priorities of Ministry of Health and responsive to USAID
- Provide technical assistance for developing capacity building approaches, using proven training approaches and performance improvement approaches
- Facilitate the utilization of standardized evidence based national standards, guidelines and
protocols for FP and RH
- Advocate with Ministry of Health for adoption of new and scaling up of existing evidence-
based FP and RH best practices for adoption at health facilities.
- Provide technical guidance in developing strategies and scaling up integration of FP in Immunization, Immediate Post-Partum and Post Abortion Care.
- Provide technical guidance and work in collaboration with WOLREC to integrate FP messages and counselling in their women empowerment programs.
- Provide technical guidance in developing strategies and scaling up Self Care packages including DMPA SC Self injection.
- Provide FP/RH technical assistance to project District Health Planning and Strengthening Managers
- Undertake scheduled visits to the districts to support implementation of high impact FP and RH interventions
- Provide support to District Health Planning and Strengthening Managers on FP/RH training of trainers, follow-up, and clinical mentoring as necessary.
- Provide technical inputs to the design and development work on SBC, with special focus on appropriate messaging on FP and RH
- Provide technical leadership to project District Planning and Strengthening Managers for the improved coverage of FP and RH initiatives
- Contribute to and coordinate with the project’s Monitoring Evaluation and Learning (MEL) team on activities to ensure that the project meets set targets in accordance with national
and USG standards
- Represents MOMENTUM 1 project at national level stakeholder meetings and technical working groups in relation to FP and RH technical areas
- Provide technical stewardship and mentorship to Family Planning, Reproductive Health and Commodity Security Officers at RHD during technical meetings
- Lead MOMENTUM 1’s Collaboration with its partners within and outside the consortium to ensure complementarity and collaboration.
- Work with MOMENTUM 1 MEL team at national and district level and the district managers to conduct data analyses of FP/RH data (and other related data) from key government approved platforms such as DHIS2 on a semi-annual basis and disseminate findings through existing platforms.
- Work with MOMENTUM1I MEL & Communication team, the District Planning and Strengthening Managers and other partners to develop briefs and communication materials around FP/RH services to share key updates and lessons from the project-supported districts.
- Provide FP/RH technical inputs to annual work planning, quarterly reports, annual reports
and other required technical reports
- Facilitate timely, accurate and appropriate reporting of FP/RH project activities and results
- Contribute to documenting and communicating FP/RH achievements for the project, share learning and best practices internally and externally.
- Demonstrate the highest degree of integrity throughout all activities and raise any concerns
with implementation quality immediately with MOMENTUM 1 project management
- Lead on FP/RH contributions to scheduled project progress update meetings of Technical, Financial and M&E with MOMENTUM 1 management
- Contribute to all scheduled project technical planning and review meetings
- Work in close collaboration and liaison with the other technical advisors
- Contribute to the multi-sectoral collaboration with other relevant stakeholders and partners in Malawi to lead coherent, coordinated and integrated FP/RH response in Malawi
- Perform other duties as assigned by the MOMENTUM 1 MNCH/FP/RH Technical Leader to
advance FP and RH efforts of the project
- An MSc in Nursing, Medicine, Public Health, social science, or any other related field; a Bachelor’s degree with wide experience in FP/RH to be considered.
- Wide understanding of the Malawi National FP/RH programme priorities and links to global commitments
- At least 5 years of experience in FP/RH initiatives with or supporting Government of Malawi
and stakeholders at national and district level with 3 years’ experience in managerial role.
- Familiarity with Government of Malawi priorities and evidenced-based practices aimed at
improving the quality of and access to FP/RH services.
- Knowledge of national and district FP/RH networks and systems.
- Experience in working with multi stakeholders in advancing FP/RH related health and development priorities including interacting with central and local government, development partners, civil society and community-based organizations.
- Demonstrated advocacy and coordination skills
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills
- Knowledge of change management and decision-making skills
- Ability to work in a complex environment with multiple tasks and short deadlines
- Demonstrated experience and ability to work effectively in a team
- Experience developing and implementing strategic technical approaches for service delivery
- Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing successful capacity building approaches
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills, and the ability to develop and
deliver technical presentations.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret research findings and apply them to the Malawian context when required.
- Knowledge of USG regulations that impact services delivery.
- Prior experience developing work plans, and/or activity plans for service delivery programs.
Method of Application
Please send your cover letter, CV and copies of relevant Certificates with three traceable referees to firstname.lastname@example.org or addressed to The Executive Director, Family Planning Association of Malawi, P/B B424, Lilongwe
Details of this position can also be accessed by visiting www.fpamalawi.org.
The deadline for submission is Friday, 30th September 2022. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.