Malawi Institute of Journalism (MIJ)
Applications are invited from suitably qualified and experienced candidates to fill the vacant post of Executive Director at the Malawi Institute of Journalism (MIJ) tenable at its Secretariat in Blantyre.
MIJ is an independent and professional training centre established in 1995 to train journalists in Malawi. The Institute also has a national commercial radio station.
The Executive Director shall be the Chief Executive Officer and Head of the Institute overseeing the two sub-branches of Media Training and the Radio Station. He or she will be responsible to the Board of Directors for the efficient management of the Institute. He or she shall provide leadership, advice and guidance on daily operations; implementpolicy and overall strategic direction of the Institute.
Key responsibilities of the Executive Director shall, among others be:
1. Ensuring proper administration of the Institute in accordance with policies and regulations
determined by the Board of Directors.
2. Formulating short, medium and long term strategic plans of the Institute.
3. Taking a leading role in budgeting and budget control.
4. Implementing policies of the Institute.
5. Formulating annual plans to the Board of Directors for approval.
6. Preparing,submitting and implementing project proposals to partners.
7. Preparing and submitting annual reports, including financial statements on income and
expenditure to the Board of Directors.
8 Implementing corporate strategic and business plans while aligning them to policies of the
9 Undertaking continuous monitoring and evaluation of operational progress through effective systemsand processes to achieve the Institute’s objectives.
10 Ensuring adequate and efficient staffing through sound recruitment, remuneration and retention policies.
11 Any other lawful duties as assigned by the Board of Directors from time to time.
Qualifications and Experience
Applicants must have a minimum of Masters Degree in any management discipline and a Bachelors degree from accredited Institutions, with at least ten years’ experience at senior management level.
Those with experience in education or media management will have an added advantage.
Competencies and attributes
The preferred candidate must:
1. Have demonstrable leadership and team building skills.
2. Be able to interact with stakeholders and partners (local and international) at the highest level.
3. Have demonstrable wide knowledge in managing an Institution similar to MIJ.
4. Be experienced in results based management.
5. Be decisive, self motivated, assertive and have excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
6. Be computer literate (Sage, Ms Office, Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
7. Be of high integrity and possess excellent negotiation skills.
8. Have no record of involvement in any form of sexual exploitation and abuse.
The successful candidate shall be offered a negotiable three year performance related contract with an attractive salary and benefits commensurate with the seniority of the position and candidate qualifications.
Method Of Application
Applications, including a detailed CV with at least three (3) traceable referees and copies of relevant qualifications should be sent not later than Friday, 16th December 2022 to:
Appointments Committee of the Board
Malawi Institute of Journalism
P O Box 30165
Only shortlisted and acknowledged candidates shall be invited for interviews.
MIJ is an equal opportunity employertherefore women and differently abled persons are encouraged to apply.