Kondanani Children's Village
JOB TITLE: Executive Director
LOCATION: Bvumbwe, Thyolo, Blantrye
REPORTS TO: Chair Person
DATE: October 2023
Purpose of the role
The core purpose of this role is to provide leadership and direction for Kondanani, Malawi. The ED will work closely with Kondanani’s Board of Directors to develop strategies to grow fundraising, advocate for the rights of children and develop and monitor high quality programmes both domestically and globally.. The ED will ensure effective implementation of the strategy, drive implementation and report on results.
Key Activity Performance criteria and outcome
· Has a relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ and is born again.
· Strong spiritual leadership for Children, Missionaries and Staff. Need to submit to a local church.
· An Alumni for the Graduates.
· Provide a clear vision and purpose for the organisation.
· Operate as a positive role model for the culture of the organization; principled and acts with integrity.
· Understand and navigates organization dynamics; builds strong informal networks.
· Develop a high performing collaborative team; is inspirational and present.
· Positively contribute to the wider Kondanani organisation and other stakeholders to reinforce the Kondanani Christian values.
· Provide the Board of Directors with trusted feedback and advice.
· Resourceful – willing to take measured risks
· Is self-aware and has inner confidence
· Asks for feedback
· Is reflective and sensitive to the impact on others
· Understands personal strength gaps
· Understands context and has a clear long-term view
· Navigates ambiguity (the quality of being open to more than one interpretation; inexactness) and is relentlessly solutions driven
· Use strong analytical and innovative thinking to develop a clear business strategy to achieve goals
· Ensure alignment with Kondanani strategic direction
· Develop high performing fundraising strategies which are cost effectively implemented.
· Ensure fundraising goals are achieved.
· Strong financial leadership.
· Ensure financial goals are achieved.
· Kondanani should be debt free.
· Ensure there is a clear communication strategy which maximizes opportunities for advocacy, fundraising and builds Kondanani’s brand reputation.
· Develop and maintain a strong positive brand reputation for Kondanani.
· Ensure Kondanani’s profile is enhanced through media appearances, and top-level engagement with the Church, Government, business, the general public and other NGO’s.
· Form positive collaborative relationships with member branches and volunteers.
· Develop a clear strategy for Kondanani Programmes both within Malawi and Internationally.
· Engage with funding providers to support Programmes where required.
· Ensure Programmes are well planned.
· Ensure Programmes are implemented and managed effectively.
· Act as the chief external advocate for the organisation, ensuring key messages for the goals of Kondanani are heard.
· Achieve strategic goals for fundraising, Programme management, advocacy and financial reserves.
· Ensure excellence in productivity.
· Ensure financial accountability and transparency that demonstrates Kondanani as leaders in the effective use of charitable donations.
Also undertake any other duties within reasonable limits, as requested by the Board of Directors
Specific Key Performance Indicators for your role will be developed annually and reviewed by you and the Board in conjunction with the current business plan and organisational needs of Kondanani.
· Demonstrable leadership skills
· Strong strategic capability
· Proven ability of achieving organisational goals
· Demonstrated high level of interpersonal skills and stakeholder management
· Knowledge and experience of NFP (not-for-profit) sector is beneficial
· Experience working with media and advocating to Government beneficial
· Personal skills
· Ability to build and maintain positive relationships with internal and external stakeholders
· Commitment to continuing development of self and team members
· Strong EQ and values driven
· Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
· Strong analytical skills
· Business acumen, commercial discipline & financial literacy
· Works effectively and cooperatively with others; establishing and maintaining good working relationships
· Effectively manages time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
· Develops original ideas to improve existing conditions and processes; identifying improvement opportunities, generating ideas, and implementing solutions.
· Sets high standards of performance for self and others.
· Assumes responsibility and accountability for successfully completing deliverables.
· Has self-imposed standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
Contributing to team and business success
· Actively participates as a member of the team to move the organisation towards the completion of goals.
Passion for results
· Sets high goals for personal accomplishment.
· Works hard to meet or exceed business goals while deriving satisfaction from that achievement and continuous improvement.
Health and Safety
All employees have a responsibility to work towards ensuring their own safety and that of others in the workplace by:
· reporting all accidents, including near misses, whether or not these accidents involve injury.
· participating actively in hazard management processes.
· communicating health and safety issues to managers.
· Understanding and following all procedures within Kondanani’s Health and Safety Policy.