Central Region Water Board
Central Region Water Board is a statutory corporation legally mandated by the Waterworks Act No. 17 of 1995 to provide water and sanitation services in all towns and market centres in the central region except Lilongwe City.
Vacancy has arisen which the Board would like to fill immediately. Job and person specifications for the position are as follows:
ENVIRONMENTAL AND SOCIAL SAFEGUARDS OFFICER (ESSO) CRWB 4 (NON-ESTABLISHED)
Prepare, review and mainstream project level Environmental and Social Management Framework (ESMF) and implement site-specific Environmental and Social Management Plan (ESMP). In addition, monitor all required environmental and social mitigation measures, set out in Environment and Social Management Plans (ESMPs) for each project as well as coordinate environmental and social commitments and initiatives with relevant Government Ministries, Department and Agencies (MDAs)
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare and/or update health, safety, social and environmental management plans, review them on a regular basis and keep them up to date at all times.
- Inspect work sites and the work of personnel on a regular basis to identify issues or non-conformity, and enforce necessary actions where unsafe acts or processes that seem dangerous or unhealthy are detected.
- Record and investigate incidents (including near misses) to determine the cause and to propose improvements to processes in the future.
- Ensure that all Health, Safety and Environment policies, procedures, rules and regulations are adhered to and are regularly reviewed, updated and communicated.
- Ensure contractors meet their statutory obligations in all areas pertaining to health, safety and welfare at work, including statutory training and reporting.
- Ensure that safety inspections, risk assessments, working procedures are managed, and contractors and employees are aware of their responsibilities in relation to health and safety issues.
- Mainstream ESMF into project operations and report on its implementation status to various stakeholders.
- Identify the potential environment and social safeguards issues in accordance with the relevant national and international regulation, and other donor safeguard policies and procedures.
- Ensure compliance with ESMP among project team, contractors, consultants and other stakeholders.
- Monitor ESMF implementation across all stages of project implementation.
- Develop safeguards reporting formats and maintaining environmental and social records on established formats.
- Develop procedures and guidelines on Environmental and Safeguard in accordance with safety, health and environmental principles
- Help contractors to understand and implement the concept of Occupational Health and Safety issues at their working environment
- Assess the potential adverse Environmental and Social impacts with guidelines for how to avoid, minimize or mitigate them
- Carry out relevant social and environmental surveys as well as developing initial Environmental and Social screening systems for CRWB developmental projects
- Support in integration of environmental, social and safety measures into contract documents
- Assess and ensure that compensation is paid to the Project Affected Persons
- Assisting the Project Manager in reporting on status of ESMP implementation
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor degree or equivalent in Environmental Engineering or Public Health or Environmental Management or Environmental Sciences or Development Economics or related field;
- Must have a minimum of 5 years’ experience with regards to the designing, planning, implementing, supervising and reporting on construction or infrastructure projects;
- Must have experience drafting or reviewing Environmental-Social Impact Assessment/Screening reports including ones for water supply infrastructure projects;
- Experience in implementation of resettlement and livelihood restoration action plan will have an added advantage:
- Proficiency in English and Chichewa, both written and spoken.
Method Of Application
If you feel you fully qualify for the position, as per above specifications, please submit your curriculum vitae containing details of three (3) traceable referees and a covering application letter in sealed envelope clearly marked the position you are applying for
The submissions of the vacancy applied for, should be made not later than 10th November, 2023 to the:
The Chief Executive Officer
Central Region Water Board
Private Bag 59