Malawi Gaming and Lotteries Authority (MAGLA)
EXECUTIVE SEARCH – DIRECTOR OF LEGAL AND REGULATORY SERVICES (MAGLA 2)
Malawi Gaming and Lotteries Authority (MAGLA) is a parastatal body established by an Act of Parliament to regulate the gaming and lotteries industry in Malawi.
MAGLA is looking for a suitably qualified person to fill the position of Director of Legal and Regulatory Services. The successful candidate will be reporting to the Director General.
The Director of Legal and Regulatory Services shall be responsible for the overall management of the Authority’s company secretarial duties, legal and regulatory compliance of licensed operators and providing legal advice and oversight over regulatory decision making.
- Providing all company secretarial duties to the Board and Management. Providing legal, regulatory and compliance advice to the Authority.
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating legal instruments such as contracts, MOUs, licenses and regulations.
- Providing strategic leadership to the Authority’s corporate services, creating a culture of effective and efficient services in line with the legal framework.
- Ensuring that operators are complying with the terms and conditions of their license.
- Overseeing the Authority’s legal and regulatory services section.
- Representing the Authority in courts of law
- Ensuring the Authority’s compliance with statutory obligations, regulations, laws, policies, and procedures.
- Taking the lead in developing the Legal Department’s annual work plans, programs, strategies, and budgets based on priorities within allotted resources.
- Liaising with external lawyers retained by the Authority.
- Identifying capacity development needs of the department’s staff and facilitating appropriate training programs in line with the career development path of the Authority.
- Carrying out any other duties as assigned by the Director General from time to time.
The required candidate should have the following competences, skills, and attributes:
- Good Knowledge of the Gaming and Lotteries Act and related laws and regulations governing the industry.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Good report writing and legal drafting skills
- Good analytical and negotiation skills
- Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines
- Ability to work in a team; and to coach and mentor team members.
The suitable candidate should possess the following:
- A Master’s degree in Law. Candidates with experience in a commercial or corporate or regulatory environment will have an added advantage.
- Valid law practicing license and in good standing with the Malawi Law Society.
- At least Seven (7) years relevant post qualification experience of which Five (5) years must be at Senior Management Level
The successful candidate shall be offered a performance related contract of Three (3) yeas renewable based on satisfactory performance with an attractive salary and benefits commensurate with the seniority of the role based on experience and qualifications of the candidate.
Method Of Application
Interested persons meeting the requirements highlighted above should submit their applications under confidential cover by including detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV), with names and contact details of three traceable referees and a copy of the National Identity by post to the address below no later than 12th February 2024.
The Comptroller of Statutory Corporations
P.O Box 30061
Physical address: Capitol Hill, GOCH 7 (new building), Ground Floor.