Director of Finance and Administration, USAID/Malawi, Youth Prosperity Through Agriculture Pathways
Palladium is a global company working to design, develop, and deliver a positive impact on the lives and livelihoods of people around the globe; broaden access to health, water, power, and infrastructure; build enduring, sustainable, and transformative institutions and market systems to address global challenges; and conserve the natural world. We operate in over 90 countries and have a workforce of 4,000 talented, motivated, and diverse staff of all religions, races, languages, and gender identities.
This Proposal Opportunity:
Palladium is seeking a Director of Finance and Administration (DAF) for an anticipated USAID-funded agriculture higher education strengthening program expected to begin in 2024. The USAID/Malawi Youth Prosperity Through Agriculture Pathways Activity aims to increase Malawian youth’s contribution to the country’s economic growth. The activity will increase access to higher education with a specific focus on agriculture training, improve the quality, governance, and relevance of agriculture training institutions’ systems, and increase economic growth opportunities for graduates to contribute to the formal economy.
The Director of Finance and Administration will oversee all finance, administrative, human resource, and operational activities of the project and a team of support personnel. This includes developing and overseeing finance and accounting systems that comply with USAID requirements and Palladium practices. In coordination with the COP, s/he will develop annual budgets that are aligned with the project work plan. S/he will also ensure compliance with contractual, USAID/USG, and local requirements for reporting, finance, and administration. S/he will also ensure payroll processes and adherence to local human resources policies. This position will be based in Malawi.
This is a proposal position and is contingent upon award from USAID.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage all project finances to ensure effective use of resources to achieve project objectives in compliance with all donor requirements.
- Ensure completeness of financial, procurement, and HR records retention.
- Oversee and ensure sound management of human resources, financial management, and procurement and grants functions for the project.
- In close collaboration with the Activity Grants Manager, implement Palladium’s grant and subcontractor tracking system to ensure the timely and compliant execution of all grant and subcontractor agreements.
- Oversee HR systems, processes, and documentation according to USAID and Palladium requirements.
- Oversee implementation of all operational systems as per USAID and Palladium requirements as well as local laws.
- Ensure that project objectives, outcomes, and deliverables are met and that financial, operational, and USAID reporting requirements are followed.
- Guide and assist accountants and other program staff in preparing, revising, and monitoring budgets for ongoing activities.
- Manage the financial operations and financial reporting of the project, providing guidance and technical assistance to financial management personnel.
- Ensure accurate tracking and recording of project expenditures and development of all required financial, operational, and risk mitigation reports required by the client or Palladium headquarters.
- Travel to conduct due diligence, risk management, and training as required.
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Key Competencies Required:
- Demonstrated experience in finance and administration required; progressively responsible experience in accounting, finance, or business management with a recognized organization, preferably for USAID or other donor-funded programs.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and manage large budgets and in-depth knowledge of accounting principles.
- Experience in managing grants under contract for USAID-funded programs of a similar size.
- Progressively responsible experience supervising project operations, including human resources, procurement, and sub-contracts or sub-awards.
- Previous experience preparing project/company financial reports, reconciling project/company bank statements, managing bank accounts, managing and monitoring petty cash, preparing payroll, tracking expenses according to budget, and maintaining records to meet tax requirements including payroll, customs and Value Added Tax (V.A.T) taxes.
- Prior experience in a management role on a USAID-funded program highly desired.
- Demonstrated experience managing staff.
- Demonstrated experience coordinating and collaborating with various stakeholders and grant awardees.
- Knowledge of Malawi labor and tax laws and reporting procedures.
- Knowledge of USAID policies, procedures, and reporting requirements.
- Advanced knowledge of MS Excel.
- Written and spoken fluency in English.
Professional Expertise/Competencies Preferred
- Experience in Malawi preferred.
- Fluent writing, reporting, and presentational skills in Chichewa or other local languages of Malawi.
Equity, Diversity & Inclusion – Palladium is committed to embedding equity, diversity, and inclusion into everything we do. We welcome applications from all sections of society and actively encourage diversity to drive innovation, creativity, success and good practice. We positively welcome and seek to ensure we achieve diversity in our workforce; and that all job applicants and employees receive equal and fair treatment regardless of their background or personal characteristics. These include: (but are not limited to) socio-economic background, age, race, gender identity and expression, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability, nationality, veteran, marital or Indigenous status. Should you require any adjustments or accommodation to be made due to a disability or you are a neurodivergent individual or for any other circumstance, please email our team at email@example.com and we will be in touch to discuss.
Safeguarding – We define Safeguarding as “the preventative action taken by Palladium to protect our people, clients and the communities we work with from harm”. We are committed to ensuring that all children and adults who come into contact with Palladium are treated with respect and are free from abuse. All successful candidates will be subject to an enhanced selection process including safeguarding-focused interviews and a rigorous due diligence process.