Global Health Informatics Institute (GHII)
The Global Health Informatics Institute (GHII) is a non-profit organization working at the intersection of science, engineering and global health to address problems of global health importance through development of local solutions and capacity (https://www.ghii.org).
GHII is inviting applications from suitably qualified, motivated, hardworking and enthusiastic individuals to fill the Director of Finance and Administration position. This position will support activities under our cooperative agreement with the Centers for Disease and Control and Prevention (CDC) and other donor programs.
Position: Director of Finance and Administration ( Grade 16)
The Director of Finance and Administration will be responsible for prudent utilization and accurate
accounting of the organizations finance, as well as overseeing the management of all administrative and human resource matters. She/he will provide strategic direction and leadership in managing the operations of the Finance and Administration Directorate in order to achieve the GHII strategic objectives and goals.
She/he will work with GHII senior management team to build and deliver financial policies and strategies that improve the business’ financial status. She/he will oversee all the financial operations within each Project/Unit to ensure they’re spending within the budget and following the financial policies laid out by the Donor and develop strategies to assess, manage and minimize any potential financial risks. She/he will analyze the financial performance of GHII and build reports for the Senior Management team to review and provide feedback
Remuneration: MWK 33,120,000.00 – 66,616,150.05 per annum
Summary of Responsibilities
The main duties will include, but not limited to establishing targets, developing budgets, and performing financial analysis.
● Supervision of the Finance and Administration Department of the GHII
● Responsible and accountable for managing the project human resources.
● Oversee and lead the annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the Executive
● Administer and review all financial plans and budgets while monitoring the progress and changes
to the organization’s financial and implementation status. Seeks continuous improvement and
cost effectiveness in the delivery of services
● Serve as the financial liaison between the institute, donors and any other partners.
● Develop and implement accounting and reporting systems for project expenditures and provide
guidance and training to project staff and partners on financial procedures.
● Ensure proper and timely accounting, liquidation, and reconciliation of all funds receipts and
● Oversee the financial strategic planning of the institution by evaluating its performance and potential risks and manages and develops mitigation measures and ensures business continuity of the GHII.
● Develops and implements effective, responsive and efficient financial and budgetary strategies,
policies and management systems, as per the international accounting standards.
● Develops and maintains standard operating procedures (SOP’s) and internal control processes
to ensure effective management of financial and other organization’s resources and guarantee
compliance with donor and financial laws and guidelines.
● Ensure timely preparation and submission of periodic financial and budget execution and analysis
and other reports;
● Controls budget execution and process payments
● Ensures safe custody of all liquid and fixed Assets of GHII
● Ensure routine communication with the senior management team to keep them abreast of the
organization’s financial status.
● Coordinate and lead the eternal annual audit process, liaise with external auditors and the finance committee of the board of trustees.
● Implement and follow up on audit recommendations and update all business policies and accounting practices.
● Ensure registration requirements are kept current at all times and file all regulatory returns, taxes
● Continuously update and implement procurement policies and procedures to mitigate arising
risks and prevent fraud, collusion, bribery and corruption.
● Responsible for ensuring efficient procurement and utilization of project office equipment and
furniture and office supplies/stationery.
● Review and submit reports and filings in compliance with local government laws and donor
● Production of additional financial information and reports for the Board of Trustees, Donors and
management, as may be required from time to time;
Qualifications and Experience
● A minimum of a Master’s Degree in either Finance, Business Administration, Applied Accounting
or related field or a fellow professional accounting (ACCA, CIMA) profession.
● At least 7 years of progressive experience managing donor funded projects. Those with experience managing USG funded projects will have added advantage
● At least 3 years of experience in a Senior Management position for a non-profit with USG funded projects where the candidate was involved in compliance, finance, administration and procurement.
Personal Attributes and Skills
● Demonstrate leadership and an analytical mind.
● Be able to lead and motivate various multi-disciplinary teams in such areas as finance, administration, and human resources.
● Ability to communicate clearly and concisely in both spoken and written English and Chichewa
● Strong writing and oral communication skills
● Be conversant with accounting standards and procedures.
● Have excellent negotiating and analytical skills, .
● Prior experience managing USG grants/funds.
● Understanding of Malawi laws – taxation and employment Act
● Proficiency in current Office software and Accounting systems and corporate IT systems.
Method Of Application
Qualified and interested candidates are requested to submit their applications including an updated CV and scanned copies of relevant degrees certificates through our website at www.ghii.org.
The deadline for receiving applications is Friday, 23rd February 2024.
GHII is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from individuals regardless of gender, disability, race, ethnicity, religion, age, or any other protected characteristic. We embrace diversity and believe that inclusivity in the workplace is essential to our success, and we are committed to creating a work environment where all employees are valued and respected.
To apply for this job please visit www.ghii.org.