Partners In Health/Abwenzi Pa Za Umoyo (PIH/APZU)
Partners in Health (PIH) is a non-profit organization based in Boston, Massachusetts, USA, whose mission is to provide a preferential option for the poor in health care. Through service delivery, training, advocacy and research, PIH works globally to bring the benefits of modern
science to those most in need and to serve as an antidote to despair.
PIH has programs in Haiti, Peru, Mexico, Russia, Rwanda, Lesotho, Malawi, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Kazakhstan and Boston. Through our partnership with Harvard Medical School and the Brigham and Women’s Hospital, we support a wide range of programs in dozens of
other countries around the world.
PIH began working in Malawi in 2007, where today we support the Ministry of Health (MOH) to serve a catchment area of 165,000 through 12 health centers and two hospitals in partnership with our sister organizations. Partners in Health/Abwenzi Pa Za Umoyo (PIH/
APZU) has its headquarters in Neno District with operations across the country.
We therefore seek to recruit suitably qualified and experienced candidates for the following positions:
Position: Director, Human Resources & Administration
Reports to: Chief Operations Officer (COO)
Commitment: Full Time (Monday-Friday)
Working Hours: Regular Office Hours (40Hrs/Week)
Location: NENO, Malawi
The Human Resources and administration Director is a key member of the leadership team for APZU and has primary responsibilities that support strategic visioning for and
management of HRA systems. The Director will play a leading role in developing and implementing policies and programs that support APZU leadership in building and maintaining a functional and engaged workforce, as well as developing and implementing
viable HR and administration strategies, systems and procedures for effective accomplishment of the strategic vision and mission of APZU. S/he will direct, lead and oversee administrative/operational support of the organization. S/he will work with
APZU leadership to understand HR needs of the organization, to propose policies, systems and practices that are focused on improving the performance of employees, maintaining a high level of employees’ satisfaction, and ensuring communication of all HR and administration policies and practices. Additionally, the Human Resources and Administration Director will also function as an advisor to the senior team, providing them with advice and counsel on leadership and organizational effectiveness and ensuring overall compliance with policies and implementation of the organizations mission and strategy. The candidate for this position must be self-motivated, have superb interpersonal skills,
be passionate about equitable healthcare and social justice.
Responsibilities and Duties
Strategic Positioning and Human Resource Management (50%)
- Partner with leadership team to develop and execute the organizations human resource and talent strategy particularly as it relates to current and future staffing needs
in recruitment, retention, and succession planning.
- Support department leads and Managers to create and sustain a professional and high performing culture within the organization
- Developing and monitoring up-to-date disciplinary policy/procedures that ensure employees are treated fairly and equitably.
- Establishing and supervising a regular system of Staff Performance Appraisal for devising career development programmes by ensuring an open appraisal system.
- Ensure that the organization complies with its policies and government employment laws; regulations and recommended HR practices and lead reviews of policies and
practices to maintain compliance.
- Create and implement professional development programs, initiatives and policies that are well aligned to program development goals and organization’s strategic vision and
plan and which allow employees to grow and develop in their current roles as well as prepare them for career advancement within the organization.
- Manage employer-employee relationship and cultivate a positive perception and culture where both sides see each other as mutual contributors to the organization.
- Create and sustain a safe working environment that promotes occupational health and safety and respect and dignity for all employees by among other things ensuring that the workplace is free of danger and protected from harmful practices like discrimination, intimidation, sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
- Analyse trends in staff compensation and benefits; research and propose competitive base and incentive pay programs to ensure the organization attracts and retains top talent.
- Develop annual work plans and budget and track spending closely (actuals and projections) and alert team members in a timely fashion for any expected over- or under-spending.
- Collaborate with the global Chief Human Resources Officer of PIH and HR teams across PIH to continually innovate and improve the HR support provided to PIH globally
- Oversee Human Resource functions, systems, processes, and documentation according to PIH Policy and requirements.
- Any other duties assigned from time to time.
Strategic Positioning and Administration Management (50%)
- Collaborate with all management staff to identify and deliver the required administrative support operations for the organization.
- Collaborate with other management staff to draft and implement an annual administrative budget
- Coordinate Office communication by ensuring availability and management of Office telephone and ensuring uploading of airtime to staff mobile phones is timely done.
- Manage Office service Contracts including agreement for office premises rental, guesthouse and the other field sites.
- Supervise to ensure adequate security at the Office, Office properties and the other field sites.
- Coordinate to ensure constant and adequate availability of Office consumables, utilities, stationery and supplies, ensure a functioning system for requests for supplies for trainings and other implementation activities to ensure timely delivery of training supplies etc.
- Ensure all logistical support for staff and site visitors, including transport and other travel requirements, hotel/guest accommodations, conference bookings, etc.
- Manage office and house premises to maintain a good and conducive work environment.
- Ensuring that all statutory requirements are met on time i.e. PAYE, income tax, VAT, workers’ compensation, etc.
- Ensuring that the Human Resource and administrative system is robust and responsive to the day-to-day needs of staff and the organization.
- Any other assigned duties as required.
Required Qualifications, Attributes and Experience
Competencies and Attributes
- Personal qualities: Knowledge of all labour related laws, conventions and provisions applicable to Malawi; must have initiative and be resourceful with a high level of integrity; must have an analytical mind, hardworking and can delegate responsibility; high level of diplomacy, interpersonal skills and ability to lead and work with teams of professionals; Self-motivated individual with the ability to work under pressure;
able to plan and develop programs, explore problems and assist other department heads in carrying out HR functions; passion for global health and social justice.
- Leadership skills: Ability to lead collaboratively, yet able to make robust decisions required in meeting complex requirements of the job; management and leadership skills; ability to impart knowledge, motivate fellow workers, coach and counsel and appraise staff.
- People management: excellent oral and written communication, including ability to diplomatically handle complex and interpersonal situations, coordination, collaboration, supervisory control, staff appraisal and development and community relations.
- Operational management: planning, budget management, compliance, evaluation and control, strategy formulation and implementation, policy development and implementation, asset management and functional reviews.
Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s Degree required in Human Resource and Industrial relations, Public Administration, Public policy or any other relevant University Degree in Human Resources and Industrial Relations and Administration.
- At least 10 years’ experience working in a in a busy organization at senior management level in either the public or private sector. Strong preference for NGO experience and
understanding of the health sector.
- At least 10 years of proven experience in policy development, functional reviews, strategy formulation and implementation and budgeting.
- Commitment of at least 5 years
- Willingness to live and work full-time in a rural setting
- Ability to lead by example, demonstrating integrity, professionalism and a strong work ethic as well as ensuring a positive, inclusive and respectful working environment.
Benefits and Remuneration
An Attractive remuneration package will be offered to the successful candidates commensurate with experience and qualification.
Method Of Application
Qualified and interested persons should apply to the address below, enclosing their cover letter; copies of relevant certificates and curriculum vitae indicating three names of traceable referees with valid telephone numbers and email addresses not later than Monday,
20th November 2023. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
The Human Resources Manager
Partners In Health/Abwenzi Pa Za Umoyo (PIH/APZU)
P.O. Box 56
P.O. Box 1774
NB: Partners in Health/Abwenzi Pa Za Umoyo (PIH/APZU) is an equal opportunity employer, so all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, tribe, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We strive to provide an inclusive and supportive working environment.
Partners In Health/Abwenzi Pa Za Umoyo (PIH/APZU) is Committed to safeguarding staff, children and communities with whom we work with. We are committed to ensuring that those who benefit from our work – including our patients, families and community members – as well as our staff are treated with dignity and respect and protected from sexual exploitation, abuse and sexual harassment. Therefore, any offer of employment is conditional upon the successful completion of applicable background checks.
The Organisation does not charge any fees at any stage of the recruitment process. If you are asked to make a payment at any stage of the recruitment process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org