FINCA Limited (Malawi), a subsidiary of FINCA Impact Finance (FIF), is a deposit taking micro finance institution in Malawi operating through 22 service outlets serving borrowers and savers in rural, urban, and peri-urban areas in Malawi.
FINCA Limited (Malawi) is increasing access to its services and products through alternate channels. To strengthen our team and prepare the institution for the challenges ahead, FINCA Malawi is looking for interested qualified persons for the below listed position:
The primary responsibilities of this role includes owning, tracking and resolving database related incidents and requests, fulfilling requests and resolving incidents, reviewing service related reports (e.g.: database backups, maintenance, monitoring) on a daily basis to ensure service related issues are identified and resolved within recommended timeframes and standards, responding to database related alerts and escalations and working, with FINCA
International database experts to come up with strategic solutions to recurring problems.
Functions and Key Areas
• Establishing the needs of users and monitoring user access and security
• Monitoring, performance and managing parameters to provide fast query responses to fronted users
• Managing both back-end organization of data and front-end accessibility for end-users
• Installing and testing new versions of the DBMS
• Maintaining data standards, including adherence to the Data
• Protection policies/procedures
• Writing database documentation, including data standards, procedures, and definitions for the data dictionary (metadata) when need arises
• Controlling access permissions and privileges to databases
• Developing, managing, and testing back-up and recovery plans
• Ensuring that storage, archiving, back-up, and recovery procedures are functioning correctly
• Manage and monitor database growth
• Working closely with Application Support Manager, IT project Managers, Database programmers
• Communicating regularly with technical, applications and operational staff to ensure database integrity and security.
• Commissioning and installing new applications and customizing existing applications to make them fit for purpose
• Support Core Banking System operations.
• Managing real-time replication for Oracle and Microsoft SQL databases.
• Managing backend/fronted data submission and reporting per business requirements.
Qualifications and Experience
• * Preferably Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field.
• Those with professional certifications and knowledge in banking software will have an added advantage
• At least two (2) years relevant work experience in database management.
• Experience in information security or related field.
• Certifications e.g., Oracle Database 19c or Oracle PL/SQL
• Developer, MS SQL Management, is an added advantage
• Fluency required in English
Skills and Competencies
• Database Performance Tuning
• Database Security
• Promoting Process Improvement
• Problem Solving, Presenting Technical Information
• Quality Focus, Database Management
• Data Maintenance
• Operating Systems (Windows, Linux)
• Knowledge in Information Security Policies
• Excellent Communication Skills
• Excellent writing skills.
• Strong numeracy skills
• Ability to mentor staff.
• Time Management
• Strong interpersonal skills.
• Good problem-solving skills.
• Good communication skills and public relations skills.
• Proficiency in Computer Applications/Microsoft Office and data analysis tools.
Method of Application
Qualifying and interested persons should apply through:
Closing date for applications is 15th January, 2023
Only short-listed applicants will be acknowledged.
FINCA Impact Finance is an Equal Opportunity Employer