PACEMAKER INTERNATIONAL (PACE) is a 501(c) (3) certified NGO that serves underserved communities by improving the quality of education in schools based in Slum, Informal, and Rural (SIR) areas. We execute our mission by training and deploying local youths as volunteers in the schools through our Youth Fellowship (CBTAF). The Fellowship addresses the youth problem by engaging them and building their skill set after high school or during the long holidays while at university. We create win-win outcomes for our schools and volunteers by integrating multiple careers and personal development training sessions into the rigorous school-based service experience. We leverage the power and leadership of young people in Africa to empower learners to reach their full potential through academic support, mentorship, and extracurricular activities. Once they graduate, they join our vibrant Alumni and PACE Project Lab (PPL) where ideas are harnessed and dreams birthed.
We currently impact 30,000 learners through 300 Youths annually across over 90 schools and are growing towards serving every underserved child in the continent of Africa. For additional information please visit www.pacemakerinternational.org We currently serve in Kenya from three regional offices in Nairobi, Coast, and Western regions serving seven counties. We also have a base in Lilongwe impacting Salima, Mchinji, Lilongwe Rural, and Lilongwe Central Districts. Our workforce is spread across the regions impacting communities through six key interventions, Community based Teaching Assistants Fellowship(CBTAF), Teacher Empowerment Network(TEN), Parental Engagement and Empowerment(PEE), Street Business School(SBS), PACE Project Lab(PPL), Girl Rising(GR) and the PACE Teacher Champions(PTC). We strengthen school outcomes through Teaching at the Right Level (TaRL), training Boards of Management (BOM), convening the Head Teachers Summit (HTS), and helping in the infrastructural improvement and School Improvement Programmes (SIP).
We are seeking the Country Director, Malawi (COM) to be part of a dynamic and highly motivated impact team and oversee daily activities across all of PACE’s Programmes, programme teams, and programme sites in Malawi.
The Country Director Malawi (CDM) shall oversee daily activities across functions such as strategy, programming, fundraising, finance, HR, IT, communication, organizational growth, and regulatory compliance of PACEmaker International in Malawi. CDM is the overall leader in the Malawi operations and shall report to the Executive Director at the Head Office in Kenya. The position requires a responsible leader with programming experience, an analytical and strategic mind with a broad knowledge of the business. This requires a commitment to productivity and compliance. CDM shall serve in the following broad-based areas: –
1. Leading Country Programming in Malawi
2. Collaborating with other senior management to formulate a strategy
3. Overseeing fundraising and financial management
4. Ensuring regulatory compliance
5. Supporting HR and day to day operations
6. Overseeing implementation of IT and communication systems.
This role is full-time, based in our Lilongwe office with frequent travel to programme sites regional office,s and partner offices/countries as and when necessary.
This role shall report to the Executive Director(ED) Direct Supervision: Finance, Communication, Administration, Programmes, and Fundraising Teams in the Country Responsibilities
1. Formulate PACE’s strategy with others in the Senior Management team
2. Create a regional strategic growth plan, using fact-based analysis to identify growth opportunities to shape the future of PACE.
3. Design and implement operational strategies, plans, and procedures
4. Oversee stakeholder management and represent PACE in key functions and engagements.
5. Oversee all the Malawi programming sites
6. Set comprehensive goals for performance and growth in line with SP and Balanced Score Cards
7. Establish policies that promote organizational culture and teamwork
8. Lead employees to encourage maximum performance and dedication including overseeing annual appraisals every year.
9. Evaluate performance by analyzing and interpreting data and metrics
10. Oversees the administration of human resources, including but not limited to, maintaining personnel files, assisting with recruitments and orientation procedures, purchasing and maintaining adequate health and other insurance policies, etc.
11. Ensure that statutory deductions and commitments with the Government of Malawi, NGOB of Malawi, CONGOMA, and the Registrar General are filed on time.
12. Write and submit reports to the ED on all matters of importance.
13. Assist ED in fundraising ventures.
14. Participate in expansion activities (investments, acquisitions, corporate alliances, etc.)
15. Manage relationships with donors/partners/vendors/beneficiaries
16. Design policies that align with the overall strategy
17. Lead in the annual action plans and where strategy rollover is due, work collaboratively with the ED to develop the new Strategic Plan
18. Oversee the financial planning and auditing processes
19. Implement efficient processes and standards
20. Coordinate Donor relations/operations and find ways to ensure donor/partner retention 21. Ensure compliance with local and international laws in all our undertakings.
22. Ensure that MOUs signed are complied with in fidelity to their provisions and all our financial commitments are undertaken in time.
23. Oversee the implementation of technology solutions throughout the organization
24. Manage contracts and relations with customers, vendors, partners, and other stakeholders 25. Evaluate risk and lead quality assurance efforts
26. Oversee expenses and budgeting to help the organization optimize costs and benefits 27. Work with the ED to analyze investment options and opportunities to maximize resources
28. Act as a central pillar in expansion and growth undertakings.
29. Mentor and motivate teams to achieve productivity and engagement.
30. Report on operational performance and suggest improvements deemed necessary
31. Represent the ED in designated forums.
32. Any other duties shall be assigned by the Executive Director.
This post may require travel of up to 60 days per year locally and internationally. There is also an expectation of occasional ‘out of hours working, travel, and external/internal events.
Person Specification Qualifications:
Bachelor’s degree, MBA, or equivalent preferred.
Minimum of 5 years experience.
Experience in Programme initiation & management, strategy, fundraising, operations or corporate strategy/business development/brand strategy/growth strategy/transformation/turnaround/change management.
Strategy development and corporate experience highly valued Analytic problem-solving. Strategic smarts. Collaborative work style.
Experienced in INGO/NGO or development work in Africa.
• Familiarity with all business functions including HR, finance, supply chain, and IT
• Experience with implementing IT systems
• Knowledge of data analytics and reporting
• Good with numbers and financial planning
• Outstanding communication and negotiation skills
• Excellent organizational and leadership ability
• Analytical mind
• Problem-solving aptitude
To apply, send an email to email@example.com
✓ A cover letter detailing your reasons for applying and your suitability (max 400 words)
✓ A concise Resume.
✓ Copies of certificates and testimonials.