Nation Publications Limited
Nation Publications Limited (NPL) is looking for passionate, dedicated and hardworking individuals to join its vibrant Editorial Team by filling correspondent vacancies tenable in the following districts: Chitipa, Karonga, Nkhata Bay, Likoma Island, Kasungu, Mchinji, Dedza, Ntcheu, Salima, Nkhotakota, Mwanza, Mulanje, Zomba, Mangochi and Machinga.
Applicants are encouraged to apply for openings in the districts of their residence.
Engagement of the correspondents will be on one year fixed term contract and renewable upon mutual agreement and proven good performance output.
Primarily, the job entails real time on-the-scene reporting of breaking news, people-centric and human interest exclusives for NPL’s fast-growing multiple online platforms from the districts in line with the company’s Digital First Strategy. Such stories may then be developed further for print and electronic newspaper editions.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
i. News gathering
- Cultivate and manage a broad source and contacts base with players across sectors in the district.
- On a daily basis, identify and develop newsworthy ideas into synopses that should yield stories.
- Cover events and other breaking news by visiting scenes and venues where they occur.
Locate and verify information for news and feature stories.
- Interview a range of relevant sources to establish facts and/or informed opinions for building stories.
- Take and edit pictures, audios and video clips for online usage.
ii. News writing and reporting
- Prepare and schedule social media posts for NPL’s digital channels, including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
- Post pictures, audios, video clips and develop info-graphics on NPL website and its other social media outlets.
- Produce news content that is free of errors in facts, style, spelling, punctuation and grammar while avoiding consequential omissions.
- Write stories and features from a fair and unbiased perspective and sensitive to legal and ethical pitfalls.
- Write in clear, coherent and concise manner, with the story package having helpful information that people can use to improve their lives.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Diploma in Journalism, Mass Communication, Education or any relevant qualifications from a recognized tertiary institution. Those with Malawi School Certificate of Education (MSCE) with demonstrable writing abilities may also be considered.
- Intensely curious, with a strong desire to know the truth, and determined to get to the heart of a story.
- Ability to absorb information quickly and understand how to turn that Information into something people can connect with.
- Someone who is fascinated by people and determined to tell their stories with empathy and sensitivity.
- Strong interpersonal skills-you will be required to get information quickly and efficiently.
- Strong writing skills.
- Ability to edit audio and videos.
- Ability to take good quality pictures.
- Team player.
- Knowledge of social media platforms.
- Proficiency in digital communication platforms such as Zoom, Google Meet. Microsoft Teams, Google Docs, Google Sheets, Google Forms, and other such digital communication and collaboration platforms.
Method of Application
Interested candidates who meet the indicated requisites of the positions listed above, should submit detailed Curriculum Vitae with three traceable referees and copies of certificates not later than 17th November 2023 to firstname.lastname@example.org or the following postal address:
Administration and Human Resources Manager
Nation Publications Ltd
P.O. Box 30408
Chichiri Blantyre 3
Nation Publications Ltd is an equal opportunity employer; therefore, female candidates dates are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com