Lilongwe Water Board
The Lilongwe Water Board is a Statutory Corporation established in 1947 and re-constituted under the Water Works Act (Cap 72). It is responsible for the provision of water supply services to the City of Lilongwe and other surrounding areas designated as its supply area.
The Board is inviting applications from suitably qualified candidates of Malawian origin to fill the vacant position that exists within the Board.
CONSTRUCTION ENGINEER – ONSITE SANITATION (20 MONTHS CONTRACT)
Purpose of the Job
To coordinate the planning, design, and implementation of programs for construction, operation and maintenance of on-site sanitation and fecal sludge management systems under the Lilongwe Water and Sanitation Project (LWSP).
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Project Support Unit Coordinator, the Construction Engineer will be responsible for the following key duties and responsibilities:
- Oversee the planning and delivery of construction of on-site sanitation systems.
- Coordinate monitoring of sites for construction of on-site sanitation systems to assure adherence of the works to quality and time requirements.
- Ensure that contractors and consultants are adhering to contract provisions in delivery of their services.
- Review all payment claims and submit the same complete with accompanying progress report to support the claim.
- Reviewing of all engineering designs and drawings prepared by consultants relating to onsite sanitation.
- Ensure construction work is being done in compliance with all relevant environmental, health and safety requirements.
- Monitor and review performance of contractors and consultants and recommend necessary measures as per the contract including where necessary requesting replacement of key staff of the contractor and consultant assigned for the works.
- Facilitate land acquisition for construction of on-site sanitation and Faecal Sludge Management (FSM) infrastructure in the peri-urban communities.
- Manage the transition of communities from using the existing unplanned sanitation facilities to sustainable on-site sanitation systems.
- Establish a coordination mechanism for all agencies working on on-site sanitation in Lilongwe City.
- Coordinate mapping of sanitation facilities being constructed under the Lilongwe Water and Sanitation Project.
- Prepare and submit periodic reports to the Project Support Unit Coordinator.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience
A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering with 4 years experience in relevant field and a demonstrable of knowledge of pro-poor/low-cost sanitation systems.The Lead to disqualification. Candidate should be proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and MS Project) and should also be registered with the Malawi Engineering Institution as a Graduate Engineer.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Interested candidates who meet the above requirements should submit their application letters, copies of certificates, a Curriculum Vitae and a copy of National Identification Card with details of three traceable referees not later than 12th September, 2022 to;
The Chief Executive Officer
Lilongwe Water Board
P.O Box 96
Those that do not submit copies of certificates will not be considered for shortlisting and only shortlisted applicants will be acknowledged.
Lilongwe Water Board is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Canvassing will Lead to disqualification.