Let’s Build Foundation is a global non-profit organization established in 2020 and registered in Norway as a non-profit organization. It focuses on providing school infrastructure to support government education strategies in countries ranked low on the Human Development Index. Let’s Build is without religious and political affiliation. In Malawi, Let’s Build was registered in 2021 as a company limited by guarantee and as an NGO with CONGOMA and NGO Board.
Our vision: A school for every child and youth to thrive in.
Our mission: We work to provide school infrastructure in alignment with government plans and community needs.
We are united by a common vision, and we respect and honor different religions, cultures, and languages.
The role holder may have limited or frequent contact with children and/or young people either once or twice a month or more because they work in the office. They hence must ensure compliance to and effective implementation of Let’s Build Child Safety Policy all the time.
The Construction Coordinator will provide technical support in monitoring and supervising construction of school infrastructure. The coordinator will further support the Construction Manager in project management. The coordinator should have technical knowledge and skills of construction and experience managing Contractors.
- Monitoring and supervision of construction of school related infrastructure
- Support in project management
- Support in contract administration
- Monitoring and supervision of contactors
- Providing technical support to the construction officer
- Design and documentation of school infrastructure
Key Areas Of Accountability
- Design school infrastructure using computer aided software (AutoCAD or similar)
- Develop Bill of Quantities and supporting tender documents
- Supervise and monitor contractors to ensure that construction is completed to quality standards and within the set timeline and cost.
- Checking contractor’s adherence to specifications, health and safety standards and quality control procedures.
- Provide technical support for the construction officer and contractors site team
- Recognize, report, and solve problems in a creative, positive, and constructive way and make recommendations for improvements in systems, procedures, and policies
- Conduct quality control activities and provide solutions to any quality control related challenges.
- Support the Construction Manager in project management
- Cultivate strategic relationships with government district officials to ensure construction takes place with quality and within the required
- Provide timely reports to the Construction Manager and Country
- Representative on construction progress.
- Participate in meetings with contractors, community leaders, MoEST officials where required.
Willingness to Improve
- strive to be agile, solution oriented and open for change in our approach
- adaptive; aiming to listen, learn and adjust from experiences and failures
- delivering as promised
- proactively communicating
- managing commitments
- leveraging skills and strengths
- showing appreciation of others work
- support through challenge
Driven by Purpose
- motivated by the why
- focused and aligning decisions and goals towards our purpose
- honesty and transparency
- Bachelor’s Degree in any construction related field i.e Civil Engineering, Architecture, Quantity Surveying etc
Experience And Skills
- At least five (5) years of experience in the construction industry
- Proven experience in overseeing the construction of schools or other similar construction projects
- Proven experience in design using computer aided construction software e.g AutoCAD
- Proven experience in preparation of Bills of Quantity and tender documents
- Demonstrated experience in managing contractors.
- Demonstrated experience in project management
- Experience in working with community led construction procedures.
- Strong English language communication skills – both verbal and written.
- Ability to collaborate with a wide range of partners and stakeholders, including community, government, and international consultants.
- The ability to travel extensively within Malawi is required.
- Willingness to travel to field and work in difficult environment on a regular basis
- Current drivers license
LET’S BUILD OFFER
Opportunity to be a member of an agile start-up organization in Malawi. Let’s Build is centered around our core values, which influence our way of working. Taking pride in being purpose driven, collaborative, reliable and willing to improve – values and behaviors we will be looking for in the candidate.
Method of Application
Provide Cover letter max. 1 page, CV max. 3 pages, details of two references
Send application to email@example.com no later than COB September 23, 2022.
All applications must include answers to the following questions in the application email text:
- List your qualifications relevant to the Construction Coordinator position
- List your number of years’ experience conducting site inspection and supervision of construction projects
- List your number of years’ experience with contract administration of contractor led construction projects
- List your number of years’ experience in project management of construction projects
- List your number of years’ experience working in the NGO sector in Malawi
- List your number of years’ experience preparing BOQ’s and detailed construction drawings
- List experience working with community led construction methods
- List experience using Microsoft office and excel
- List experience using AutoCAD or other computer aided design software
- What would you need to do to be successful in this role?
- How would you as Construction Officer ensure that Let’s Build is purpose driven?
Important note: by sending through your application, you give your consent to Let’s Build to store information collected in the recruitment process for the Finance and Administration Officer position.
Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for interviews
To apply for this job please visit letsbuild.foundation.