Catholic Relief Services
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
The Communications Officer for CRS Malawi works closely with the Regional Communications staff and HQ Communications team to create content and to ensure strategic alignment of communications, consistent messaging and a strong brand identity. The Communications Officer creates content and uses effective communications channels to reach a number of different audiences and help increase CRS Malawi positioning for funding and influence. This includes stories, multimedia and reports as required, as well as ensuring CRS’ compliance with donor branding and marking requirements.
Roles and Key Responsibilities
- Write, design and manage the production of creative and compelling communication and marketing material –stories, photos, video, fact sheets, brochures, etc. – for various audiences, including public and private donors, local and national governments, local Church, partners, media and others as needed.
- Coordinate freelancers in the production of above marketing materials as needed.
- Support the procurement processes for licenses, equipment and applications needed to implement the CPs communications plan.
- Use and tailor agency messages tailored for each audience and identify and utilize effective distribution channels to disseminate communications materials to key audiences.
- As appropriate, manage social media channels and create content platforms like Facebook and Twitter.
- Develop and maintain relationships with local media and help identify opportunities to reach key audiences, and coach country program staff in effective local media representation.
- Support the dissemination of relevant information among personnel, partners, and project participants or other relevant actors related to the CP.
- Provide marketing and communications support for events, including signage, handouts, talking points, photos, liaising with media, etc., and convene local media whenever a CRS event takes place.
- Support the creation of processes, manuals and trainings for CP staff and partners on issues related to communications, marketing, and media created for the development of the CP.
- Experience in Adobe Creative Suite, especially InDesign, is strongly desired.
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Journalism, or related studies; experience in INGOs or UN preferred.
- Minimum two years marketing and communication experience, ideally for an NGO or another organization in development and relief programming.
- Excellent English language oral and written communication skills is required.
- Individual must possess the ability to influence without direct authority.
- Ability and desire to work well with diverse employees and customers in a cooperative and friendly manner.
- Must possess ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated track record of successfully disseminating information to a variety of target audiences.
- Travel up to 40 % is required.
- Highly proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and desktop publishing skills is required.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
What we offer
CRS offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, life insurance, vision, generous retirement savings plan and the opportunity to work in a collaborative, mission-driven culture that is committed to improving the lives of the poor throughout the world.
***Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
Note: All positions requiring residence or frequent travel outside their home country must undergo and clear a pre-employment medical examination.
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to safeguarding the rights and dignity of all people – especially children and vulnerable adults – to live free from abuse and harm.
EOE/M/F/D/V – CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. (For all US and International positions)