Malawi Revenue Authority (MRA)
Grade : B2
Organisational Unit : Domestic Taxes
Reporting To : Commissioner General
Duty Station : Head Office
Job Type : Contract
- Developing strategies for revenue optimization to ensure achievement of revenue targets for the Domestic Taxes Division.
- Implementing an effective monitoring mechanism for revenue performance across operational units.
- Monitoring assessments, collection and accounting of taxes, duties, fees, charges and other non-tax revenue.
- To develop, implement and promote taxpayer compliance initiatives.
- Ensuring compliance with the legal and regulatory framework in the administration and enforcement of the various tax laws.
- Ensuring adherence to the Domestic Taxes Division business processes and procedures across all Domestic Taxes business units.
- Ensuring that taxpayers are regularly updated on any developments and changes in any tax related legal and regulatory framework, processes and procedures
- Managing staff in the Division including implementation of performance management tools and ensuring management of any disciplinary matters.
- To take such measures as may be required to improve the standards of service provided to taxpayers with a view to improving efficiency and effectiveness of the tax administration system.
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Taxation, Finance, Accountancy, Economics, Business Administration/Management, Project Management and any related discipline.
- Those with Masters Degree in similar fields will have an added advantage.
- At least ten (10) years’ experience at a Senior Managerial level, five (5) years of which must be after attending advanced training in Domestic Taxes or VAT or Income Tax.
- Management and leadership experience of not less that 10 years in similar organizations.
- A proven record of success at senior level of management in similar organizations.
- Highly motivated individual with a passion for leading a vibrant team of professionals.
- In-depth knowledge of Malawi Tax Laws
Leadership Attributes and Competencies
- Strategic thinking: Possess strategic planning skills to ensure development and implementation of a clear strategic plan for the Division in line with Corporate Strategic Plan;
- Business awareness: Good understanding of MRA’s core business, Malawi Tax System, Tax Policies & Procedures and how to grow the tax business in light of the informal sector and the digital economy;
- Technical Knowledge: In-depth technical understanding of complex areas of taxation such as: transfer pricing, tax analysis and tax audit;
- Teamwork: strong skills in building and leading high achieving teams and contributing to the cohesiveness of the Authority’s Senior Management.
- Innovation: proven capacity to translate creative ideas into strategies and plans for continuous improvements;
- Decision making: demonstrate intellectual, and interpersonal flexibility.
- Stakeholder engagement : excellent capacity to build confidence with internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong communication and presentation skills and capacity to engage audiences.
Successful candidates will undergo an extensive background check on their integrity; and shall only be appointed upon a favourable result.
This position is on a 3-year renewable contract subject to MRA Conditions of Service.
Method Of Application
Interested candidates should submit their application through MRA recruitment portal: https://careers.mra.mw
Closing date for receiving applications is 31st January 2023
To apply for this job please visit careers.mra.mw.