Partners In Health/Abwenzi Pa Za Umoyo (PIH/APZU)
Partners in Health (PIH) is a non-profit organization based in Boston, Massachusetts, USA, whose mission is to provide a preferential option for the poor in health care. Through service delivery, training, advocacy and research, PIH works globally to bring the benefits of modern
science to those most in need and to serve as an antidote to despair.
PIH has programs in Haiti, Peru, Mexico, Russia, Rwanda, Lesotho, Malawi, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Kazakhstan and Boston. Through our partnership with Harvard Medical School and the Brigham and Women’s Hospital, we support a wide range of programs in dozens of
other countries around the world.
PIH began working in Malawi in 2007, where today we support the Ministry of Health (MOH) to serve a catchment area of 165,000 through 12 health centers and two hospitals in partnership with our sister organizations. Partners in Health/Abwenzi Pa Za Umoyo (PIH/
APZU) has its headquarters in Neno District with operations across the country.
We therefore seek to recruit suitably qualified and experienced candidates for the following positions:
Position: Chief Medical Officer
Reports to: Executive Director (ED)
Commitment: Full Time (Monday-Friday)
Working Hours: Regular Office Hours (40Hrs/Week)
Location: NENO, Malawi
The CMO will be a key member of the Executive Leadership Team (ELT), responsible for positioning PIH/APZU as a global thought leader in health systems strengthening modeling
high-quality health care delivery with an emphasis on equity.
In close collaboration with ELT, the CMO will ensure that PIH/APZU continues to advance and strengthen innovation and organizational growth in all the other components of PIH’s theory
of change including research, influence/advocacy, training, and replication. S/he will work in close collaboration with the public sector at national and district levels to address the burden of disease and gaps in the health system, driving innovation and helping to bring successful interventions to national scale. In collaboration with APZU’s executive leadership team, the CMO will lead in the development and monitoring of the organization’s strategic plan that effectively supports the Ministry of Health in operationalization of Universal Health Coverage (UHC) and implementation of the Health Sector Strategic Plan III reforms in
Neno district and beyond. This pivotal role spans from the local to the global, ensuring that strategic and policy decisions are not merely evidence-based, but also informed by social context and the complex realities of front line health care delivery. As such, the role is expected to work in close collaboration with the office of the Chief Health Systems Policy Advisor and the technical advisors stationed within the ministry.
Responsibilities and Duties
Reporting to the Executive Director, the CMO will provide overall strategic oversight and leadership on management of clinical care services and programmes and will have the following responsibilities:
Strategic Planning & Leadership – 30%
- As a member of the executive leadership team, contribute to overall organizational strategic planning and decision-making in line with national priorities positioning the site for continuous improvement in clinical excellence and patient-centered care delivery through Social Medicine, long-term growth and continued partnership with the Government.
- Provide strategic oversight on direct patient care at all levels of care delivery, implementation of clinical programmes, innovations and all grant related programme
implementation, monitoring and reporting in and outside Neno including their eventual transition to MoH.
- Overall responsibility for programmatic implementation of HSSP III reforms and DIP at district level and ensure improved performance on district level indicators In collaboration with ELT, set a research agenda for the organization and provide ongoing leadership in research to ensure that both direct patient care interventions as well as
programs generate evidence for Global Health equity and the practice of Social Medicine in alignment with Ministry of Health priorities.
- Leverage the healthcare delivery platform for the development of Global health workforce
- Strengthen PIH/APZU’s health delivery innovation pipeline working with the Ministry of Health to define key areas for innovation and develop overall clinical strategies to ensure that priority innovations are brought to scale through replication of the PIH model and strategy
- As a member of the executive leadership team, contribute to overall organizational resource mobilization efforts, build a robust funding pipeline and ensure that all grant
development and implementation complies to PIH procedures
- Work with department heads to support and monitor their work, ensuring each department/programme stays on track to meeting its goals and ensure that each department understands its role in relation to other departments and the organizations mission.
Strategic Partnerships & Stakeholder Engagement – 30%
Under this scope, the CMO will work closely with the Policy and Partnerships leadership team to:
- Leverage the Global Health Delivery Partnership to help APZU address disease burden and gap, and work with Malawi’s health sector and other PIH sites to contribute to
PIH Global Clinical Leadership.
- Support collaborations and partnerships with the Ministry of Health and other government ministries both at national and district level as well as health facility and community levels to increase transparency around PIH’s values, innovations and approach to government accompaniment as well as to facilitate collaborative planning and implementation
- As a member of the executive leadership team, contribute to accompaniment of the public sector including policy advocacy, technical assistance and strengthening PIH/
APZU’s presence at national level through strengthened involvement in technical working groups
- Foster formal collaborations and partnerships with academic institutions both in and outside the country and other partners that facilitate the advancement of the PIH agenda and strategy.
- Maintain strong linkage and collaboration with OnePIH coordination site functions as well as regional PIH sites
- Represent the organization and ELT at relevant conferences and meetings
Human Capital Development & Management – 20%
- Build an effective team by recruiting, coaching, and mentoring clinical program leaders and technical staff and work with Human Resources both within APZU and the MoH to ensure staff have a career development pathway, receive regular assessment and feedback and have active development plans.
- Identify opportunities, including cross site collaborations, to leverage staff capacity for development and improvement.
- Ensure all clinical departments and programmes have an active succession plan in place
- Oversee employee productivity in the clinical department, building a highly disciplined, collaborative and inclusive work environment that ensures professionalism, a strong work ethic and attainment of organizational goals
Operational Management – 20%
- Provide leadership in clinical governance to ensure that clinical services meet best practices and that processes are regularly audited to ensure a high standard of professional conduct and continuous quality improvement.
- Create and uphold systems of transparency and accountability ensuring prudent stewardship of organizational resources.
- As far as possible, provide leadership in the alignment of PIH/APZU strategic programmes to MOH priorities, harmonization of PIH and MoH indicators for improved reporting on district level indicators, alignment of PIH planning, budgeting and activity implementation to DIP and LAPA
- Provide overall oversight on quality improvement projects, program impacts through systematic program evaluation, presentations to internal stakeholders as well as cross-site working groups, national and international stakeholders, conferences and other forums such as academic publications.
- Oversee development and dissemination of APZU end of year programme narrative report.
Required Qualifications, Attributes and Experience
- Medical Degree with Advanced Degree in Public Health, HealthCare Management, Health Policy, or related field;
- Minimum 10 years of experience in the design, implementation, and measurement of global health inventions in resource-limited settings;
- Demonstrable strategic planning, leadership and team-building skills, mature inter-cultural style, enabling the leader to effectively represent the organization;
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication and writing skills and relationship-building skills
- Proven capability in managing people and projects, including developing and managing strategies, work plans, performance metrics and budgets;
- Ability to work with leadership of the Ministry of Health so as to both support its mandates and get buy-in for PIH approaches;
- Personal qualities include: Proven ability and inclination to lead collaboratively, yet able to make tough decisions as necessary; demonstrated strategic thinking and analytical skills, good judgment, political astuteness and tact; creative problem-solving, flexibility; excellent interpersonal and communications skills and impeccable integrity;
- Experience in grant writing and grant execution;
- Commitment to social justice and health equity.
- Willingness to live and work full-time in a rural setting.
- Ability to lead by example, demonstrating integrity, professionalism and a strong work ethic as well as ensuring a positive, inclusive and respectful working environment.
Benefits and Remuneration
An Attractive remuneration package will be offered to the successful candidates commensurate with experience and qualification.
Method Of Application
Qualified and interested persons should apply to the address below, enclosing their cover letter; copies of relevant certificates and curriculum vitae indicating three names of traceable referees with valid telephone numbers and email addresses not later than Monday,
20th November 2023. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
The Human Resources Manager
Partners In Health/Abwenzi Pa Za Umoyo (PIH/APZU)
P.O. Box 56
P.O. Box 1774
NB: Partners in Health/Abwenzi Pa Za Umoyo (PIH/APZU) is an equal opportunity employer, so all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, tribe, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We strive to provide an inclusive and supportive working environment.
Partners In Health/Abwenzi Pa Za Umoyo (PIH/APZU) is Committed to safeguarding staff, children and communities with whom we work with. We are committed to ensuring that those who benefit from our work – including our patients, families and community members – as well as our staff are treated with dignity and respect and protected from sexual exploitation, abuse and sexual harassment. Therefore, any offer of employment is conditional upon the successful completion of applicable background checks.
The Organisation does not charge any fees at any stage of the recruitment process. If you are asked to make a payment at any stage of the recruitment process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org