Northern Region Water Board
Applications are invited from suitably qualified Malawians to fill the vacant position of Chief Executive Officer (CEO) for Northern Region Water Board, tenable at its head office in Mzuzu.
Northern Region Water Board is a Statutory Corporation established under the Water Works Act, Chapter 72.01 of the Laws of Malawi with the responsibility for the administration of water supply areas, development, operation, maintenance of waterworks and water-borne sanitation system in the Northern Region of Malawi, including the City of Mzuzu.
The Chief Executive Officer is responsible to the Board of Directors for efficient and effective operation and profitability of the Water Board and is expected to provide overall strategic direction and advice in the technical, commercial, administrative functions and in general management of the Water Board and its resources. She/he will head a Corporate Management Team of the Water Board in formulating and implementing short, medium and long term strategic plans.
ACCOUNTABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The principal accountabilities and responsibilities for the CEO include the following:
a) Ensuring proper coordination for the expansion of production and distribution infrastructure to meet increased customer base;
b) Formulating, developing, and recommending for Board’s approval policies, plans, strategies and budgets; c) Providing leadership for improved water system development, pumping, treatment, supply to customers, revenue management, and overall performance and progress towards achievement of set objectives; d) Providing leadership on Northern Region Water Board’s activities to ensure that it functions smoothly and efficiently;
e) Ensuring that customer base is expanding in line with Government Policy as set from time to time and ensuring that supply infrastructure is extended to accommodate increased customer base projections;
f) Directing and guiding all the Departments of Northern Region Water Board in the preparation of corporate strategic and business plans following the Northern Region Water Board’s Mandate, Vision, and Mission in line with Government policies;
g) Identifying organization structure changes and staff skill requirements and putting in place required management systems and processes to manage the motivation of staff;
h) Participating in various meetings related to water industry to represent the interests of the Board and/or Government as required;
Ensuring that Northern Region Water Board operates a proper and efficient accounting system and maintains books of accounts and other records to reflect true and fair financial position of the Water Board and in conformity with generally acceptable financial standards which include timely preparation of the budget plans in line with all relevant legal instruments; and
i) Carrying out any other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors from time to time.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
The ideal candidate must possess the following:
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s and a Master’s Degree in any of the following fields: Civil, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering, Public or Business Administration, Water Supply Management, Finance, Economics, Human Resources Management or Strategic Management from a reputable University;
- Registered with a relevant professional body;
- A minimum of ten (10) years’ post-graduate experience of which five (5) must be at senior executive position or corporate management position in a busy utility organization; and
- Candidates with experience in the water sector will have an added advantage.
The Government of Malawi is currently undertaking Public Sector Reforms; one of which is to turn around under- performing State Owned Enterprises. Applicants who have previously turned around ailling institutions will have further added advantage.
The ideal candidate must possess the following attributes:
- A proven track record of managing a large utility organisation of commercial enterprise in areas of service delivery, project management, financial accounting, and human resources management;
- Be customer focused, goal driven, action oriented, innovative, a self-starter and team player;
- Be a mature and judicious person with extensive managerial experience;
- Have a strong business acumen and entrepreneurial attitude;
- Be able to work to agreed performance targets;
- Be of high integrity; and
- Have excellent negotiating skills.
APPOINTMENT AND REMUNERATION
The successful candidate shall be offered a negotiable performance related contract for a period of three (3) years, with an attractive salary, benefits, and gratuity package commensurate with seniority of the position and qualifications of the candidate.
Method Of Application
The interested candidates should submit their applications together with detailed Curriculum Vitae and names of three traceable referees by 26 May 2023 to:
Comptroller of Statutory Corporations,
P.O. Box 30061,
The applications must be clearly marked “Application for the Position of Chief Executive Officer for Northern Region Water Board.”
Northern Region Water Board is an equal opportunity employer and women are encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted applicants will be acknowledged and invited for interviews.