Malawi Research and Education Network (MAREN)
The Malawi Research and Education Network (MAREN) is a not-for-profit institution which was founded around 2005 by the University of Malawi and Mzuzu University. It was established to create and operate an academic network interconnecting research and education institutions within Malawi and with their regional and global peers through the UbuntuNet Alliance. The organization became fully operational in 2018 through funding from the Digital Malawi Project a Project of the Malawi Government funded by the World Bank. So far, MAREN has managed to interconnect at least thirty institutions including all the public universities at higher bandwidths. To date, the organization has been managed by consultants who were hired by the Project to facilitate its operationalization. Having been fully capacitated by the Project, MAREN is now in a position to recruit its own staff. Applications are therefore invited from suitably qualified, highly skilled, experienced, competent and visionary individuals to fill the following position.
CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) shall report to the MAREN Board and will be the head of the MAREN Secretariat.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Developing and implementing strategic objectives and organization plans, to be adopted by the Board, in support of internet connectivity for academic and research institutions.
- Building a good team which is capable of designing, deploying and managing services that provide excellent support to academic and research processes.
- Marketing the services of MAREN effectively and widening its membership to establish a sustainable revenue base.
- Overseeing fundraising and revenue generation activities, business plans development, funding proposals, donor funding, et cetera.
- Ensuring good cooperation with the wider academic, and research community in Malawi and the region.
- Coordinating capacity building activities within MAREN and in member institutions.
- Seeking opportunities to extend the range of services MARE is able to offer to its membership, including access to open educational resources.
- Managing the MARE financial management system including planning, budgeting, control and ensuring that MAREN operates on a cost recovery basis.
- Establishing links with development partners, financiers and benefactors for the purposes of leveraging existing funding to secure additional material and financial resources from the partners for MAREN.
- Coordinating, supervising and evaluating all ICT services, including network policies and operational procedures.
- Be the main point of contact between and liaise effectively with MAREN and stakeholders, namely; the MAREN Board, local and international Research and Educations institutions, including the EU Africa Connect program, PPPC, World Bank among others.
- Monitor and evaluate staff and general performance;
- Coordinate all activities that fall under the MAREN Secretariat.
Qualifications and Experience
A suitable candidate shall:
- Have a BSc and an MSc in Computer Science with a bias towards IP networks OR a Bc and an MSc in Information Technology with a bias towards IP networks OR a BSc and an MSc in Telecommunications Engineering OR related qualifications from a recognized University. Those with PhD and foundational degrees in related fields with have added advantage.
- Have additional qualifications in leadership or business management.
- Have working experience with donor funded projects preferably multilateral donors
- Have a minimum of 5 years experience working at management level in a busy environmental.
- Have extensive knowledge of the operations of the higher education and research sectors more particularly their data network and systems requirements.
- Have strong leadership skills to successfully lead a team of engineers and produce the best out of them.
- Have ability to develop grant proposal and manage donor funded projects.
- Have an understanding of the National Research and Education Network (NREN) model
- Have ability to initiate, build and maintain productive client relationships.
- Have strong collaboration skills to build teams across working boundaries.
- Have ability to contribute to a diverse team of commercial and technical backgrounds.
- High degree of integrity and professionalism.
Term of office
The CEO shall be engaged on a FIVE (5) year contract which will be considered for renewal based on performance.
The position above comes with a competitive compensation and benefits package in accordance with MAREN’s existing structure of benefits.
Applicants are invited to submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and names and contact details of three traceable referees to the Chairperson of the Search Team by the following email: email@example.com
Applications should be received by 29th August, 2022.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org