Malawi Accountants Board
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates to fill the vacant position of Chief
Executive Officer of the Malawi Accountants Board.
The Malawi Accountants Board (MAB) is the regulatory body for the accountancy profession
in Malawi. It is mandated to provide direct oversight over professional accountancy bodies and auditors to, among others.
(a) To promote high-quality reporting of financial and non-financial information by entities.
(b) To promote the highest professional standards among auditors and accountants.
(c) To enhance the credibility of financial reporting.
(d) To improve the integrity, competence, and transparency of professional activities in
accounting and auditing.
(e) To improve the quality of accounting and auditing services.
(f) To protect the financial interests of the general public and investors.
(g) To adopt and ensure compliance with and the enforcement of applicable local and
international accounting and auditing standards.
(h) To encourage effective collaboration with other regulators.
(i) To maintain the Register of chartered accountants and diplomate accountants.
(j) To advise training institutions and the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Malawi (ICAM) in matters pertaining to examinations and training of accountants.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF THE JOB
The Chief Executive Officer of MAB will act as the link between the Board on the one hand, and the Government on the other.
Under the general direction of the Board, the Chief Executive Officer’s key responsibilities will include, but not limited to the following:
- Diligent and prudent management of the affairs of the MAB to enable it to achieve its
- Lead, in conjunction with the Board, the development of MAB’s strategy;
- Lead and oversee the implementation of MAB’s Board approved long and short term plans in accordance with its strategy;
- Ensure that MAB is appropriately organized and staffed and to have the authority to hire and terminate staff as necessary to enable it to achieve the approved strategy;
- Ensure that public interest entities, accountants, and auditors comply with the Act.
- To ensure that MAB has appropriate systems to enable it to conduct its activities both
lawfully and ethically;
- To ensure that MAB maintains high standards of corporate citizenship and social
responsibility wherever it does business;
- Act as a liaison between management and the Board
- Communicate effectively with shareholders, employees, Government authorities, other stakeholders and the public;
- Determine the overall budget of the MAB to ensure that it is financially self-sustaining.
- Balance resource availability with the setting of high standards for MAB.
- Develop and maintenance of adequate and effective administrative and financial systems.
- Encourage corporation between ICAM and other professional bodies in matters of common interest.
- Management of the Board’s external relations.
- Act as Secretary to the Board.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
The applicant must:
- Have a Master’s Degree in Finance or Economics.
- Bachelor’s Degree in any field or equivalent qualification.
- Must a be strategic thinker with at least 5 years of a successful track record in running a professional body or similar institution.
- Recognized professional certifications such as ICAM, CPA, ACCA, CIMA, or CFA will be an added advantage.
The applicants must:
- Be mature, self-starter, strategic thinker, and results-oriented.
- Have strong management, financial, and analytical skills with demonstrable leadership and communication skills.
- Be able to demonstrate skills to pioneer and drive a rebranded organisation with tact and vision.
The successful candidates shall be offered a negotiable performance-related contract for a period of three (3) years, with an attractive salary, benefits, and gratuity packages commensurate with the seniority of the position and qualifications of the candidate.
Method Of Application
Eligible candidates meeting the required qualifications and experience should submit their
applications giving detailed Curriculum Vitae, names, and contacts details of their three (3)
traceable referees not later than 26th May 2023 to:
Department of Statutory Corporations
Capital Hill – New Building
P O Box 30061