Ministry of Lands
The Ministry is mandated to create an enabling environment for sustained provision of Land, Housing and Urban Development services to promote and encourage sustainable development. In pursuit of this mandate, the Ministry is implementing a flagship project to construct 10,000 houses for Security Institutions across the country in order to provide decent accommodation for security Institutions (Malawi Defence Force, Malawi Police Service, Malawi Prison Service and Immigration and Citizenship Services.
The Ministry of Lands has developed an innovative strategy to fast – track the implementation of the project and wishes to engage suitably qualified and experienced professionals to fill the following vacant posts tenable at the Infrastructure Management Unit – Lilongwe.
Post : Chief Architect (Grade F)
Salary : Within the range of Grade F salary scale segment
Reporting to : Infrastructure Management Coordinator (Grade E)
Location : Infrastructure Management Unit in the Ministry of Lands, Lilongwe
Purpose Of The Job:
The overall purpose of the position is to be In – Charge of the design of the architectural
drawings, supervise the implementation and maintenance of all project activities.
The applicant must have the following qualifications;
- Bachelor’s Degree in Architecture with adequate experience of practicing the profession;
- Must have 7 years’ experience of professional practice in a busy organization or firm:
- Those with a Master’s degree in Architecture will have an added advantage;
- Must be registered with Malawi Institute of Architects or relevant recognised professional body;
- Checking the architectural drawings produced by the Principal Architect and follow the implementation at each appropriate stage of construction;
- Designing and supervising housing construction projects for the various sites to make sure that they are being built in accordance with regulations and standards;
- Coordinating with other relevant professional bodies on housing project design
- Administering contract works through assigned architects and make periodic inspections in accordance with professional code of practice;
- Making sure that project completion procedures are finalised and that all built
drawings and maintenance manuals are issued to respective clients at the end of each project;
- Accepting completed construction projects from contractors and consultants on
behalf of the Ministry;
- Advising the Ministry and Clients on all technical issues pertaining to the construction of housing:
- Evaluating, monitoring of quality and enforcement of standards in the housing
- Researching and developing greener building technologies for construction materials and techniques;
- Enforcing works/contracts management/administration.
Proficiency in MS Office i.e. Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Auto CAD package;
Knowledge of google suites and tools.
High level of accuracy and attention to work details;
Resourceful, self-starter with ability to independently multi-task and prioritize;
Be able to analyse the work produced by the Principal Architect;
Ability to adapt and work in a very flexible, fluid and evolving environment.
Terms and Conditions of Employment
The Ministry of Lands shall offer employment on Non-Established (NE) terms for a period of three (3) years.
Method of Application
Interested applicants who meet the above requirements should submit applications with a detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) and three (3) traceable referees, copies of relevant professional and academic certificates to the address below not later than 12th November, 2022.
The Secretary for Lands,
Private Bag 311,