African Parks (AP)
VACANCY: CHEF – MAJETE
STATUS: One-year contract subject to renewal based on performance African Parks (AP) is a not-for-profit organization that secures a mandate to conserve through Public-Private Partnerships with Governments and communities for the rehabilitation and long-term
management of protected areas in Africa, and here in Malawi, AP has secured this mandate for the management of Majete Wildlife Reserve, Liwonde National Park and Nkhotakota Wildlife Reserve.
An opportunity has arisen for the post of Chef tenable at Majete Wildlife Reserve in Chikwawa The Chef will directly report to the Head Chef, but also work closely with the front of house, Grounds and housekeeping departments. The Chef will be responsible for providing the best catering service within the tourism facilities of Majete Wildlife Reserve. The focus will be preparing best meals for Thawale lodge guests and Mwembezi restaurant guests.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE (but not limited to):
1. Deliver excellent quality, consistency and presentation of dishes.
2. Maintaining an excellent standard of cleanliness and hygiene in the kitchen at all times
3. Set up the kitchen with cooking utensils and equipment, like knives, pans and kitchen scales.
4. Study each recipe and gather all necessary ingredients
5. Inform waiting staff about daily specials
6. Wash Kitchen floors
7. Wash away the dirt around the Kitchen room after the rains
8. Sweep around the Building.
9. Clean out cutlery trays
10. Clean shelves
11. Empty Rubbish Bin
12. Clean Oven, Toaster, Cooker, Griller and microwaves
13. Remove spider webs and clean the roof
14. Clean towels and kitchen table cloths
15. Clean all cooking utensils
16. Clean fridges and rearrange food.
17. Clean staff bathroom together with all staff that uses it.
18. Stock control.
19. Cooking for Guests/staff food.
20. Cook food in a timely manner
21. Check freshness of food and discard out-of-date items
22. Quality packaging of food to avoid mixing up/food poisoning
23. Lock away all food ingredients to avoid feeding rats/cockroaches
24. Clean all tools and surrounding as soon as you are ending each shift.
25. Take care of electrical appliances and make sure to switch them off when not in use
26. Ensure that Gas cylinders are turned off completely soon after cooking is finished.
27. Ensure that all staff working in the kitchen are in a proper working uniform.
28. Ensure to have and use all working equipment’s (Hand towels; soap; chef hats etc.)
29. Ensure compliance with all health and safety regulations within the kitchen area.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
o Minimum of diploma in Culinary arts, Food and beverage or catering services obtained from a recognized institution.
o Malawi School Certificate of Education
o Strong interest in wildlife conservation
o Minimum of 2 years of similar experience
o Ability to maintain a rapid and demanding pace of work
o Good English skills (written and spoken)
o Ability to follow instructions accurately.
o Good attention to detail and ability to identify problems.
o Ability to adapt and work flexibly.
o Ability to prioritized activities.
o Dependable and strong work ethic
• Aged between 24 to 35.
African Parks is an equal opportunity Employer.
Method Of Application
Applicants should submit their CVs with a covering letter clearly stating how their skills
and experience meet the requirements of the position. At least two traceable referees should
be included, copies of certificates are required at this stage. Applications should be emailed
to recruitMalawi@africanparks.org by close of business on 8th May, 2023.
Only short-listed candidates will be acknowledged.
To apply for this job email your details to recruitMalawi@africanparks.org