Tony Blair Institute for Global Change
We don’t just talk, we do. Lead the change with us.
At the Tony Blair Institute for Global Change, we work with political leaders around the world to drive change. We help governments turn bold ideas into reality so they can deliver for their people. We do it by advising on strategy, policy and delivery, unlocking the power of technology across all three. And by sharing what we learn on the ground, so everyone can benefit. We do it to build more open, inclusive and prosperous countries for people everywhere.
We are a global team of nearly 800 changemakers, operating in more than 30 countries, across five continents. We are political strategists, policy experts, delivery practitioners, technology specialists and more. We speak more than 45 languages. We are working on over 100 projects, tackling some of the world’s biggest challenges. We’re all here at TBI to make a difference.
In a world of ever more complex challenges, we believe diversity of background and perspective is a strength. We pride ourselves on a culture that values and nurtures difference. We are dedicated to unlocking potential, not only for the countries we work in but also for each of our team members. No matter where you’re from or who you are, if you’re passionate about the transformative power of progressive politics, we invite you to build a better future with us.
The Tony Blair Institute for Global Change (TBI) advises reforming political leaders and governments on strategy, policy and delivery, with technology as an enabler across all three functions. In so doing we make a significant and positive impact for citizens around the world.
In recognition of TBI Advisory’s growing impact and size, it is undertaking a sizable new intake of Associates worldwide. The Associates will support our growing project portfolio (resident in country), business development activities and horizontal offerings of expertise to our clients.
Associates represent the bulk of our teams around the world. They are generalist problem-solvers able to support political leaders across all the dimensions at which we offer advice.
Successful applicants will have an amazing career ahead of them. Whether they are at TBI for a few years, or a large share of their career as they grow and progress within the Institute – their experience as a TBI Associate will position them to have a huge global impact. This role is ideal for the candidate who is passionate about politics and the ability to create change by working in and with governments.
Associates must have the ability to operate with clients and across TBI with professionalism, confidentiality, integrity and diplomacy.
This is not an entry level role but requires some experience potentially with a graduate or professional degree, though it is expected that many successful applicants will still be early in their career with a high degree of learning and development potential.
Please note that applicants must have the right to work in Malawi.
We are looking to hire up to two highly adaptable Associates to support our Malawi Programme. Successful applicants would be expected to support across a wide range of areas including:
- Support projects in Malawi or development opportunities as TBI advises political leaders on strategy, policy and delivery with technology as the enabler across all three dimensions
- Develop research, analysis, written insights and other deliverables for clients and senior leadership within TBI
- Engage with client counterparts to understand client requirements, articulate ideas and participate in presentations of deliverables
- Innovate and develop tools that enable efficient management and delivery of programmes (including project dashboards, frameworks and trackers)
- Support delivery of high levels of project impact, facilitating nimble performance tracking and coordination where required
- Play a hands-on role in opportunity scoping and relationship building to enable the expansion of TBI Malawi to new areas of work, including developing presentations for new partners and senior government officials
- Support new projects in their inception phase and support implementation
- Apply and learn from new and innovative approaches to supporting change and deliver impact
- Minimum of 2-4 years’ experience as a political staffer, public servant, or in consulting, economics, finance, multilateral institutions, high impact civil society organisations, technology and many other previous roles are all considered relevant at TBI. Working knowledge of technology is required and understanding how to leverage technology to achieve transformation, with a passion for politics and strong political acumen
- A work ethos focused on team success with genuine motivation for colleagues’ performance, growth and well-being
- Ability to perform in-depth analysis across various topics, generate original insights and produce high-quality deliverables which are fit for delivery to senior government clients, perform challenging analysis and structured problem solving
- Insatiable curiosity for data, with a proven ability to process it with attention to detail
- Strong time management skills and a demonstratable strength in project management
- Demonstrable experience of being an entrepreneurial self-starter
- Skilled at communicating, from executive office level through to technical level, adept at speaking to senior leadership, knowing how to navigate ambiguous environments and comfortable at managing up and beyond hierarchy
- Ability to navigate complex situations diplomatically
- Demonstrating a proactive and hands-on attitude, not afraid to roll-up their sleeves to get the job done and take ownership of their workstream
- Passion for tech and an interest in using new software beyond the traditional MS Office Suite (high levels of proficiency in PowerPoint and Excel is required)
- For one of the Associate positions a strong technology background, with skills such as the ability to write code, algorithms, etc. will be required
We encourage early applications as we reserve the right, if required, to close this role earlier. The closing date is 21st November 2023.