Ministry of Agriculture
The Government of Malawi through the Ministry of Agriculture with support from International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) is implementing the Programme for Rural Irrigation Development (PRIDE). PRIDE aims at reducing vulnerability to food insecurity, climate change effects and vagaries of the market. The Programme development objective is to enable smallholder farmers to sustainably enhance their production levels to such a degree that they can provide for their household nutritional demands and deliver produce to viable markets.
PRIDE will achieve these objectives by providing smallholder farm households a combination of (i) irrigation, soil and water conservation infrastructures; (ii) promotion of good agricultural practices; and (iii) linkage to improved value chains.
PRIDE will engage in approximately 15 cluster scheme areas. The pre-selected cluster scheme areas are concentrated in the northern and southern regions of the country. In order to address rain-fed and irrigated elements of the farming system, PRIDE will engage with the villages clustered around the irrigation schemes earmarked for the Programme.
The Ministry of Agriculture through the Department of Irrigation, as the implementing agency would like to engage the services of Assistant Procurement Specialist as individual consultants in the Project Coordination Office.
Tasks and Responsibilities
The overall objective of the assignment is to provide technical assistance to the PRIDE’s coordinating office in fulfilling its obligations in procurement and contract management functions of the project. Under the supervision of the Coordinator and direct supervision of the Procurement Specialist, the assistant procurement specialist will be responsible for carrying out routine procurement activities, record keeping and documentation in line with IFAD procurement procedures and guidelines.
Specifically, the Assistant Procurement Specialist will perform the following duties;
- Assist in the preparation and update of the Procurement Plans in consultation with user departments
- Assist with the timely procurement of goods, non-consulting services and civil works through preparation of Bidding Documents, Request For Quotations, Request For Bids, Procurement Notices, Bid Opening and Evaluation sessions and preparation of Bid Evaluation Reports
- Assist in timely processing of consultants selection through issuance of Expressions of Interest, secretarial services to Shortlisting, technical/financial evaluation and contract negotiation meetings
- Assist in the preparation of evaluation reports, contracts, award notices and other procurement and contractual documents as required;
- Assist in timely payments to suppliers, contractors and consultants and also ensuring their contractual obligations such as payment guarantees, Insurance premiums and performance
- Assist with maintenance and updating of procurement databases and contract register with complete & paper trail; of the procurement process;
- Assist in preparation of Procurement Post Review registers, attending Procurement Post Review meetings and response to comments on issues raised
- Undertake procurement processes using Shopping procedures and any other procurement methods as assigned from time to time;
- Assist User Departments with procurement activities and logistics and from time to time review and implement improvements to the user departments to ensure that procurement is done in accordance with Malawi government/World Bank quidelines;
- Assist in the preparation of Quarterly procurement progress reports
Qualifications and Experience
The candidate should meet the following minimum qualifications, experience and competencies:
- University degree in Procurement & Supply Chain Management or CIPS Graduate Diploma-Level 6 from a recognised institution.
- Member of the Malawi Institute of Procurement and Supply (MIPS)
- A minimum of five (5) years of work experience in procurement in a donor funded-project such as those funded by the IFAD, World Bank or African Development Bank.
- Good computer skills and proficient in the use of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word and PowerPoint, etc.):
- Experience/ skills working in teams and in a multi-cultural environment;
- Good command of English (speaking and writing):
- Strong reporting and writing skills;
- Working knowledge of the Government of Malawis Public Procurement laws and procedures;
- Prior participation in short training courses on donor funded projects and familiarity with procurement policies, evaluation procedures and reporting, as well as preparation of specific documents based on donor funded standards and models will be an advantage;
- Ability to work under minimum supervision;
- Highly motivated with excellent planning, analytical, communications and interpersonal skills as well as a high level of diplomacy.
- Upholding of anti-corruption and anti-bribery ethics.
- Registration with the Malawi Institute of Purchase and Supply (MIPS) is a prerequisite.
Reporting: The Assistant Procurement Specialist will report to the Procurement Specialist for all administrative issues and operations and will technically report to the Project Coordinator through the Procurement Specialist.
Location of Employment
The stated individual consultant will be based at Project Coordination Offices within Department of Irrigation Headquarters in Lilongwe, but will be required to travel regularly and extensively to the project areas and work closely with the divisional/ regional/ district staff and communities to ensure that progress follows project plans and that appropriate support is provided for project implementation.
Duration of Employment
The assignment is for 6 years with an initial contract period of 12 months. The appointmer be extended subject to annual satisfactory performance.
Method of application
Suitably qualified and experienced candidates should send their application letters enclosing detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV), copies of relevant Certificates plus names of three (3) traceable referees not later than 21st October, 2022 to the address below. Applications should be dearly labelled on the envelopes for the position applied for.
Address of submission
The Director of Irrigation Services
Department of Irrigation Headquarters,
Off Paul Kagame Road & Opposite NACIT
P. O. Box 30797,
Capital City, Lilongwe 3.