Concern Worldwide is a non-governmental, international, humanitarian organization dedicated to the reduction of suffering and working towards the ultimate elimination of extreme poverty
in the world’s poorest countries. We started working in Malawi in 2002 and are well known for our innovative and quality program. We promote learning and staff development for our staff through training, coaching, mentoring and exposure to new experiences.
Concern Worldwide Malawi is currently searching for motivated, talented and hardworking individual for the following position:
Assistant Country Financial Controller – based in Lilongwe
Purpose of the role:
To assist in managing all aspects of the finance function of the Concern Worldwide Malawi country program. The role is challenging and stimulating, requiring excellent technical financial skills and strong management, strategic thinking and communications skills. There is scope for the right individual to grow in the role, handling larger and more diverse portfolios as the organization continues to grow and develop.
Responsibilities & Tasks
- Line manage Finance Officers in accordance with organizational values, policies and procedures.
- Improve finance team capacity through providing technical and managerial support to finance staff and ensuring professional development of the team.
- Support the Country Financial Controller (CFC) in ensuring that strong finance systems exist and are adhered to in partner organization with which Concern implements programs
- Prepare and issue timely management accounts to Budget holders/managers including support cost allocation.
- Review Cashbooks, bankbooks and month end Journals to ensure accuracy of transactions before posting into financial system.
- Monthly review of balance sheet reconciliations.
- Prepare Variance Reports in accordance with the HQ reporting timetable.
- Assist the CFC in the preparation and consolidation of Annual budgets and Budget revisions.
- Preparation of donor reports in accordance with donor reporting requirements.
- Assist CFC in preparing for and management of annual external audits to ensure a smooth and efficient audit process and follow-up on the implementation of audit recommendations.
- Prepare and timely submit quarterly recharges reports to Dublin
- Provide guidance on new or existing finance policy/procedure to non-finance staff and ensure compliance with set internal controls procedures.
- Perform regular field visits to provide support to field finance staff and managers.
- Provide management cover in the absence of the CFC.
Qualifications and Experience
- Accountancy qualification (e.g. CPA, ACA, ACCA)
- 3 years post qualification experience in international NGOs or a similar organization.
- Experience in developing staff capacity both on technical and management aspects
- Experience managing large and multi donor (especially USAID, EU, ECHO, FCDO, etc.) program budgets
Concern Code of Conduct and its Associated Policies
Concern has an organizational Code of Conduct (CCoC) with three Associated Policies; the Program Participant Protection Policy (P4), the Child Safeguarding Policy and the Anti-Trafficking in Persons Policy. These have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of program participants from exploitation, and to clarify the responsibilities of Concern staff, consultants, visitors to the program and partner organization, and the standards of behavior expected of them. In this context, staff have a responsibility to the organization to strive for, and maintain, the highest standards in the day-to-day conduct in their workplace in accordance with Concern’s core values and mission. Any candidate offered a job with Concern Worldwide will be expected to sign the Concern Staff Code of Conduct and Associated Policies as an appendix to their contract of employment. By signing the Concern Code of Conduct, candidates acknowledge that they have understood the content of both the Concern Code of Conduct and the Associated Policies and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these policies.
Method Of Application
Applications for the above career opportunities should include a cover letter; updated Curriculum Vitae with names of three referees (one must be most recent Line Managers). Due to the volume of applications Concern receives, Concern will only respond to shortlisted candidates. Send your application to the email email@example.com by close of business on 30th January, 2023. Concern is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all qualified people. Women are particularly encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org