Danish Red Cross
Danish Red Cross (DRC) has been engaged in a long-term bilateral partnership with Malawi Red Cross Society (MRCS) since the 1980s. Today, DRC is coordinating various consortia consisting of Finnish-, Icelandic-, Italian-, Netherland-, Belgian Flanders Red Cross and the IFRC. DRC is also the lead agent for ECHO/EU supported programmes, all in the support of MRCS, a dynamic and professional partner in the Southern Africa.
Our main areas of support to MRCS cover Health, WASH, Youth Empowerment, National Society Development and Disaster Management, including Disaster Preparedness, Early Warning, Forecast based Action, and responses to natural and health-related disasters.
The position of Anticipatory Action (AA) and Information Management (IM) Delegate is to support Information Management (IM) capacities in Malawi Red Cross Society (MRCS) and further strengthen the development of Anticipatory Actions (AA). The person will assist other Danish Red Cross (DRC) technical / programme staff and DRC Country Manager strengthening the use of data, information management and further development of Anticipatory Action and Impact-based forecasting in Malawi. He/she will also support resource mobilization for MRCS AA and IM activities.
Main responsibilities of the AA & IM Delegate include:
- Support the implementation of the AA project, including further establishing the use of electronic Contingency Plans (e-CPs).
- Support the development and operationalisation of the AA concept and approach within the MRCS Disaster Management (DM) unit.
- Support the integration and mainstreaming of intersectional approaches into AA in Malawi, including Cash and Voucher Assistance (CVA), Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) and Protection, Gender and Inclusion (PGI).
- Support the implementation of the ECHO funded Anticipatory Action project in a consortium with WFP and FAO, with a specific focus on improved access to and use of data and information as well as anticipatory cash transfers.
- Support the establishment of AA mechanisms using impact-based forecasting models at national level by providing technical and programmatic assistance in the partnership between MRCS and all other relevant governmental and non-governmental institutions, and regional partners and networks.
- Support the process of expanding the scope of the AA approach and specifically Forecast-based Action in Malawi from floods to multi-hazards, in close collaboration with external technical experts.
- Support innovative financing initiatives in relation to AA in Malawi.
- Support improved use of data and information management in AA and Disaster Management at large in MRCS.
- Support emergency cash interventions as well as the identification of cash preparedness activities in coordination with DRC cash Delegates.
Experience and Qualifications
- Excellent reporting skills in English
- Expertise and strong interest in Information Management and the use of data in humanitarian work
- Proven technical knowledge on AA and disaster management, including innovative technical and financing approaches.
- An excellent communicator with good negotiation skills and a diplomatic flair
- A good level of understanding of working in partnerships and implementing through a local partner.
- Full proficiency in Microsoft Office package and minimum one relevant programming language and applied knowledge of GIS.
- Valid international driving license
- Red Cross Red Crescent experience an asset.
- Desirable knowledge of Danish language
- Knowledge about DRC strategies and partnership approach
- Knowledge of international and regional agreements and strategies on climate-related disaster risk reduction
- Cultural sensitivity
- Team Player
- Result Oriented
- Good Communicator
This is a 6-months position, with possibility for extension. The duty station is Lilongwe in Malawi with frequent field travels.
The contract will be administered in accordance with the Danish Red Cross Terms and Conditions for Delegates. Attractive salary package.
Method Of Application
Please submit a CV and a motivational letter via our website www.rodekors.dk. The deadline for applications is Sunday 29th of October 2023. Interviews are expected to take place soon after this date.
For any specific questions re the position, please write to the Country Manager, Eva Jordung Nicolson: firstname.lastname@example.org
See the job description and Terms & Conditions.
Your application and CV should be uploaded at DRC web page. Applications made by email will not be accepted.