Sparkle Foundation Malawi
Sparkle Foundation Malawi is a charitable organization working in 17 villages in Zomba under T/A Mwambo. The organization strives to create a better future for vulnerable children and their families through the provision of quality education, health, and nutrition services as well as empowering the community members to be self-sufficient.
We are looking for a passionate and suitably qualified candidate to fill the following vacancy.
Job Title: Agriculture Officer
The core role of the Agriculture Officer will be to oversee the project development and operations of the Sparkle Farm! From attending the project meetings, working with the team to develop the plans, managing the timelines and building operations process, the Agriculture Officer will be the key point of contact for all things Sparkle Farm. It’s imperative that the Agriculture Officer has a background in agriculture and has the ability to build and train a team to who can handle planting, crop and site maintenance and harvesting. As well as building and managing the team, the Agriculture Officer will require excellent communication skills to ensure that the Sparkle senior team and engaged and updated on farm operations and performance.
Duties and Tasks
- Identifying candidate for future farm roles, undertaking the interview process and building the sparkle farm team.
- Having direct input into the design of the farm, what crops are grown and in what quantities.
- Analyzing existing operations, crops, livestock, staff, and financial documents and recommending improvements.
- Preparing plans and schedules for planting and harvesting and ensuring staff understand expectations.
- Inspect crops, livestock, and perform tests on soil and water.
- Ensuring seeds, fertilizers, pesticides, and other supplies are regularly restocked as required.
- Scheduling repairs, maintenance, and replacement of equipment and machinery.
- Handling the marketing and sale of products produced on the farm like fruit, vegetables, meat, and grain.
- Ensuring all staff adheres to health and safety regulations.
- Scheduling and undertaking regular training sessions with the Sparkle Farm team.
- Collaborating with senior staff to prepare budgets and financial reports.
- Building professional networks and keeping abreast of developments in agricultural science.
- Submit progress reports to donors per agreed timelines.
- Diploma in Agriculture or Agriculture Extension
- Additional qualification in agribusiness management or administration shall be an added advantage.
- A passion for agriculture.
- Extensive experience in a farming-related field.
- Management experience would be a plus.
- Excellent problem-solving, analytical, and critical thinking skills.
- The ability to make decisions in stressful environments.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to work overtime as required.
Desirable personal attributes
- Reliable, accurate and systematic
- Goal-oriented, problem solving, independent, committed, innovative and motivated.
- Able and willing to learn and acquire new knowledge relevant to the offered position.
- Excellent social and interpersonal communication skills.
- Knowledge and experience of introducing new agriculture innovations to communities.
- Team working
- Ability to assist in community events and activities.
- Strong affinity with the mission and values of The Sparkle Foundation and the voluntary and charity sector
- Friendly, positive, and personable manner with a high level of energy and enthusiasm
- Strong multitasking abilities and abilities to work to meet objectives and to meet deadlines
- Ability to work without lots of supervision and make decisions
- High English proficiency for both speaking and writing
- Excellent IT skills including MS Office, experience of database use, with proven ability to learn new systems
Method Of Application
If you are interested and meet the requirements above, please send your Cover letter, Curriculum Vitae, and copies of your certificates including the names and contacts of three traceable referees to the following address: The Country Director, The Sparkle Foundation, P.O Box 1122, Zomba. Alternatively, you can submit via the following email address; firstname.lastname@example.org.
As a requirement of The Sparkle Foundation Child Safeguarding Policy, the successful candidate shall be required to undergo a police background check.
The Closing date for receiving applications is November 21, 2023.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com