PYXUS Agriculture Limited
Pyxus Agriculture Limited is a subsidiary of a trusted provider of responsibly sourced, independently verified, sustainable and traceable agricultural products and ingredients, operating in Malawi servicing the needs of its shareholders and their customers. A career opportunity has arisen in our organisation for the position of Agricultural Mechanization Officer.
AGRICULTURAL MECHANIZATION OFFICER
Pyxus Agriculture Malawi is committed to empowering Malawian smallholder tobacco growers through enhanced access to agricultural mechanization technology, thereby striving to augment their production and overall farm productivity. This ambitious undertaking will be realised through the implementation of a dedicated agricultural mechanization project. At its core, the project will facilitate access to finance for enterprising individuals by establishing a robust leasing scheme for agricultural machinery and directly service smallholder farmers through the provision of a comprehensive mechanization hire service.
To spearhead this crucial initiative, Pyxus seeks a highly skilled and motivated individual to assume the role of Agriculture Mechanisation Officer. This critical position will provide vital support to the project’s ongoing implementation, initially spanning from January 2024 to December 2028.
- Pilot and introduce an agricultural machinery leasing scheme, monitoring, supporting, and evaluating its performance.
- Conduct cost benefit analysis of different agricultural mechanization technology for major crops and of various scenarios of mechanization service provision models.
- Develop and facilitate training programs for rural service providers on business and financial management, collaborating with training providers in Malawi.
- Participate in the establishment, supervision, and management of all research and demonstration fields.
- Day to day cooperation with tillage entrepreneurs for technical support and ensure mechanization equipment are tracked and progress monitored.
- Prepare and submit timely and accurate internal project reports on activities, detailing the progress and achievement (indicators supervising), the challenges faced and how they were tackled and recommendations for subsequent months.
- Conduct periodic assessment to identify constraints faced by actors and opportunities along the agricultural mechanization supply chain and support services.
- Assess enabling/hindering factors at policy and institutional level for the widespread adoption of agricultural mechanization.
- Analyze strategies and opportunities to enhance the roles of agricultural mechanization in sustainable agricultural intensification and enterprise development.
- Conducted demonstration and demand creation programs.
Collect and document all mechanization related data and develop report as required.
- Establish close coordination and cooperation with tillage entrepreneurs, field offices, communities, project beneficiaries and other partners at project level for effective delivery of project activities.
- A graduate with a University degree or Diploma or higher level of tertiary education in agricultural engineering or a related field.
- Possess at least five years’ experience in a similar area, demonstrating knowledge of sustainable agriculture, mechanization frameworks, and an eye for business.
- Project management skills are essential, as are strong communication, negotiation, problem-solving, and critical thinking abilities.
- A team player with the ability to motivate others and commit to achieving results.
- Digitally savvy, proficient in email, internet, MS Word, and PowerPoint.
Familiarity with machinery and equipment is important.
- Prepared to spend over 60% of your time in the field, engaging directly with communities and stakeholders.
Method Of Application
Please submit your CV and cover letter outlining your suitability for this position to email@example.com before the closing date of 31 January 2024.
You may also send your application by post to:
The HR Services Controller
PYXUS Agriculture Limited
P.O. Box 40048
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the next stage of the recruitment process