Agricultural Development Strategy Liaison Consultant
The main goal for this assignment is to compare existing and potential delivery models for strengthening output markets and trade systems with quantified potential/projection of impact. On the basis of these conversations, the team will recommend best practices for creating effective technical assistance that can attract more impact investments in food crop value chains.
TechnoServe is seeking proposals from qualified consultants for the following scope of work. For information on timeline, application requirements, and evaluation criteria, please review the full Request for Proposals here. Please submit your proposal for this consultancy to buy+US+P0017087@tns.org by January 27, 2023.
Agricultural Development Strategy Liaison – TechnoServe Scope of Work
Location: Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Malawi, and Ethiopia (Please specify which country/countries are of interest in the proposal.)
Timing: ~3 weeks (15 days) per country starting between February 1 and May 1, should be completed by May 31
Language: English and any relevant local languages (e.g., Amharic, Yoruba, Bemba)
TechnoServe helps people lift themselves out of poverty by harnessing the power of the private sector. A leading nonprofit organization operating in almost 30 countries, we work with hardworking women and men in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses, and industries.
TechnoServe has been engaged by a public-sector donor to carry out a study of the main delivery models that are used to develop output market and trade systems for increased farmer income and food security, with a particular focus on a few critical Africa markets, including Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Malawi, and Ethiopia. The main goal for output markets and trade systems with quantified potential/projection of impact. TechnoServe is developing a preliminary perspective on these markets based on secondary sources and seeks to validate and expand its findings through meetings with key stakeholders in each market, which include input importers, blenders, producers, distributors, and retailers. (agro-dealers), as well as government organizations involved in regulation, procurement and/or distribution, non-profit organizations, and any private organization also involved in purchasing and distribution (e.g., local regional, or multi-national companies that serve as off-takers). On the basis of these conversations, the team will recommend best practices for creating effective technical assistance that can attract more impact investments in food crop value chains.
TechnoServe’s overall purpose is to provide an objective perspective of the dynamics and opportunities in the output market systems, with the ultimate goal of supporting an accelerated transformation of food market systems, with the ultimate goal of supporting an accelerated transformation of food market systems to ensure that they are competitive, inclusive, resilient, and predictable.
The consultant will support the set up and execution of meetings with key stakeholders in country by identifying the most relevant organizations, scheduling meetings with them, organizing and overseeing local logistics and accompanying the team during the meetings.
Broadly, the consultant would conduct the following activities to achieve this objective:
Prepare visit to country
- Identify the most relevant organizations in the agricultural sectors to meet with (from the types listed in above)
- Reach out to those organizations and schedule meetings within suggested dates for travel
- Organize meeting logistics (confirm meetings, coordinate local transportation, English translator)
Oversee and accompany during visit in country
- Accompany TechnoServe team to the scheduled meetings
- Oversee logistics throughout the duration of the visit
- Translate for TechnoServe team where required
- Meetings – 12-15 meetings scheduled and executed, contact details for all meetings and/or phone interviews, translate for team where required – Week 1-3
Skills and Requirements
- University degree in agricultural sciences, management, or related field
- Minimum of 5 years of work experience in preferred country/countries
- Minimum of 3 years work experience in agri-business and/or rural development
- Sound understanding of key agricultural value chains in preferred country/countries (e.g., coffee, rice, beans, potato, maize)
- Previous business interaction with agribusinesses in country/countries preferred
- Strong communication and convening skills
- Advanced knowledge of English is preferred
If travel is required, TechnoServe will cover travel-related costs including airfare, in-country accommodation, in-country transportation, and a per diem for living expenses.
The Consultant will report into TechnoServe’s Strategic Initiatives team and will also collaborate with in-country teams. While under the supervision of the Strategic Initiatives team, the bulk of the consultant’s work will be independently driven and executed.
TechnoServe is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.
Bachelors or better in Agribusiness or related field.
3 years: In Agribusiness or related
5 years: In preferred countries