United States Embassy
Announcement Number: LILONGWE – 024-002
Hiring Agency: Embassy Lilongwe
Position Title: Administrative Management Assistant (All Interested Applicants/ All Sources)
Open Period:01/23/2024 – 02/05/2024
Vacancy Time Zone: GMT+2Series/Grade: LE – 0105 6
Salary: USD $10,351 /Per Year
Work Schedule: Full-time – The normal workweek for this position is 40 hours.
Duty Location(s):1 Vacancy in
Telework Eligible: NoFor More Info: HR Section 000-000-0000 Lilongwestatehr@state.gov
Hiring Path:• Competitive service
• Open to the public
Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
For USEFM – FP8 -$37,896. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C.
All Interested Applicants / All Sources Security Clearance Required:Public Trust – Background Investigation Appointment Type Permanent Appointment Type Details:• Indefinite subject to successful completion of probation period. Marketing Statement:
We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
The work schedule for this position is:
- Full Time (40 number of hours per week)
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (4 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Supervisory Position:NoRelocation Expenses Reimbursed: NoTravel Required: Not Required
The incumbent has a proficient knowledge of computers and software (Microsoft Office, Excel Word, Outlook and PowerPoint). S/he has knowledge of the unit or section routine procedures to receive and refer phone calls and visitors to staff members. S/he has a proficient understanding of grammar, spelling and punctuation, as well as required formatting used. S/he has the ability to use judgment to analyze information and take appropriate action and prioritization. The incumbent troubleshoots and resolves basic hardware problems, arranges for the installation of software. S/he provides basic software support, such as archiving and use of office software. Maintains office equipment; i.e., telephones, personal computers, photocopiers, scanners, and fax machines. The incumbent works under the general supervision of the supervisor, who sets the overall objectives of the work and from time-to-time, gives specific assignments with a brief explanation of the assignment’s purpose. The incumbent personally sets the deadlines for most of the work to be done. The incumbent performs the duties of the job independently, referring only the most complex problems to the supervisor. The work is reviewed to ensure that the overall objectives of the position are met.
Qualifications and Evaluations
EXPERIENCE: Two years of progressively responsible secretarial/clerical experience is required.
Must have knowledge of personal computers and office equipment. Must have knowledge of common office management practices and procedures. The incumbent must have knowledge of grammar, spelling, punctuation, and required formats sufficient to recognize and correct such errors in correspondence, reports, and cables.
Completion of two years of college education with courses in typing, office skills, and word processing .
LANGUAGE: Level III (Good working Knowledge) speaking, reading and writing English.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES PC-based software (MS Office Suite – Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint);
Ability to organize routine data and maintain established procedures; and
Ability to gather information, use judgment to analyze information, and to take appropriate actions for phone calls, work prioritization, etc.
“This maybe tested”
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Lilongwe, Malawi may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1) AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
(2) AEFM / USEFM
(3) FS on LWOP and CS in LWOP **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of the most recent Member Copy Four (4) of the DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, and, if applicable, a letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. If claiming conditional eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference, applicants must submit proof of conditional eligibility. If the written documentation confirming eligibility is not received in the HR office by the closing date of the vacancy announcement, the U.S. Veterans’ preference will not be considered in the application process. Mission HR’s decision on eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference after reviewing all required documentation is final.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS in LWOP status with re-employment or reinstatement rights back to their agency or bureau.
What is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc? (https://careers.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/VA-Definitions-and-Additional-Employment-Considerations.pdf)
ADDITIONAL SELECTION CRITERIA:
1. The Mission may consider any of the following when determining successful candidacy: nepotism, conflicts of interest, budget, and residency status.
2. Current employees of the Mission who have not successfully completed their initial probationary periods are not eligible to apply. Current employees with an Overall Summary Rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory or MBC score of 100 points or less, on their most recent Employee Performance Report (EPR) are not eligible to apply.
3. Current employees of the Mission hired on a Family Member Appointment (FMA) or a Personal Service Agreement (PSA) are not eligible to apply within the first 90 calendar days of their employment. This does not apply for employees on a PSA (Temp), or those are hired on a When Actually Employed (WAE) or intermittent work schedule.
4. Candidates who are EFMs, USEFMs, AEFMs, or MOHs must have at least one year remaining on their sponsor’s tour of duty to be considered eligible to apply for this position.
Method Of Application
To apply for this position applicants must electronically submit the documents listed below to be considered for employment. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible and qualified.
All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a public trust clearance.
To apply for this position click the “Submit Application” button available on the link; https://erajobs.state.gov/dos-era/mwi/vacancysearch/searchVacancies.hms
For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
To qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested degree and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. Failure to provide requested information, or the information is insufficient to verify eligibility, may result in disqualification for this position.
• Diploma or transcript of two years college education
Eligible Family Member Applicants:
• Copy of Sponsor’s Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
• DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
• SF-50 (if applicable)
Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Lilongwe, Malawi.