ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (3 POSITIONS)
The Malawi National Social Support Programme (MNSSP II) adopted in 2018 reflects the Government of Malawi’s resolute commitment towards reducing poverty and vulnerability through social protection. The Poverty Reduction and Social Protection (PRSP) Division under the Ministry of Finance and Economic Affairs is responsible for the overall coordination and monitoring of the MNSSP II. The German Development Cooperation through Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is committed to support the Malawian Government through the project “Support to the implementation of social protection for the ultra-poor people”. The project started in April 2022 and builds on previous GIZ projects supporting the PRSP. From 2022 till 2025 the main areas of support will be a) Building capacities of PRSP; b) Supporting the institutionalization of the Unified Beneficiary Registry (UBR); and c) Enhancing district administration through decentralization including the UBR management at district level.
In addition to this, EU co-financing was secured until September 2023. This is the funding source for the advertised position. The EU co-financed component of the project focusses on delivery systems for social protection. The main areas of support will be: (1) anchoring of the UBR at district level, (2) the implementation of e-payments in at least one more district and (3) the application of a harmonized Grievance- and Redress Mechanism in 4 districts.
Social Protection Programme (SPP) seeks to employ three Administrative Assistants who will be based in Lilongwe with frequent travel to the districts.
The Administrative Project Assistant is responsible for
- Providing administrative and logistical support to the project team
- Meeting the administrative needs of the project office
- Ensuring that financial and administrative regulations are complied with.
In this context, the position holder performs the following tasks in close collaboration with the Technical Advisors of SPP and under the guidance of the Finance Specialists and Administrative Specialist.
This is a short term three months assignment without expectation for extension.
The Administrative Project Assistant performs the following tasks:
2.1 Administration and Coordination
- Ensures that information about administrative procedures is exchanged between project staff, partners, and other institutions
- Accompanies other team members to meetings, trainings, workshops, etc
- Prepares and organises internal meetings and takes minutes
- Supports with the logistics of external meetings, workshops, trainings and events; including procurement/selection of an event location, setting up of the room, registering participants, catering/refreshments, payment of allowances, support for the moderator/trainer, printing, documentation and communicating with event location to ensure timely provision of catering services and participants’ general wellbeing
- Provide support in the documentation of all events, workshops and trainings involving external participants and ensure it is complete and includes a list of participants, the objective, the agenda and other relevant documents
- Support the administrative aspects of project activities
2.2 Finance and accounting
- Support the up-to-date and proper management of receipts and receivables.
- Checks travel approvals, expenses, and settlements of staff for approval by the superior
- Checks that invoices are in line with delivery notes before processing them for payments
- Regularly monitors and clears the third-party receivables of the project office
- Support payments in the field including participants and partner staff allowances.
2.3 Other duties/ additional tasks
- Performs any other duties/ tasks at the request of project team
3.0 Qualifications and Experiences
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent in business administration with a focus on accounting or related area
- Proven track record of good professional experience.
- Good writing and communication skills.
- Computer literacy: excellent proficiency in all MS Office applications (Word, PowerPoint, Excel etc)
- Administrative experience in the private sector or an international aid organization is an advantage; however, it is not an imperative requirement.
Method Of Application
Interested candidates meeting the above requirements should submit their applications, with a one-page cover letter demonstrating how they meet the above requirements, along with a detailed CV (max. 5 pages) and copies of academic certificates by 21st May 2023 to:
The Head of HR
P.O. Box 31131
Or email to: email@example.com
The following reference code of the call for application is strictly to be indicated in the subject line of the applicant’s e-mail: SPP/2023/05/AA/Name of applicant.
GIZ is an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from individuals regardless of gender, disability, race, ethnicity, religion, age, or any other protected characteristic. We embrace diversity and believe that inclusivity in the workplace is essential to our success, and we are committed to creating a work environment where all employees are valued and respected.
Within its activities, GIZ is promoting and protecting human rights, health and wellbeing, and wishes to contribute to a world free from harm, exploitation and abuse. Prospective candidates should be willing to adhere to GIZ’ s Child Protection Principles, and Prevent Sexual Exploitation, Abuse and Harassment Policy.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org