ADMINISTRATIVE AND FINANCE INTERN
As a federal enterprise, the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH supports the German Government in achieving its objective in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development. GIZ operates in more than 130 countries around the globe. In Malawi, GIZ has been working for more than 50 years. Malawi is a priority for German international cooperation and currently focuses on three priority areas: education, health and private sector development in rural areas. In addition to our work on these areas, we also work on public financial and economic management and social protection.
The Food and Nutrition Security Programme (FNSP) in Malawi is implemented as part of the global programme ‘Food and Nutrition Security, Enhanced Resilience’ under the ONE WORLD – No Hunger initiative, commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). Implementation started in 2015 and is expected to end in 2025. FNSP supports the national ‘Scaling up Nutrition (SUN)’ initiative – especially among pregnant and lactating women (PLW), infants and young children (0-23 months) with the Department for Nutrition, HIV and AIDS (DNHA) in the Ministry of Health as the lead political partner. The programme delivers results at household and community level, district level as well as national level. In addition to supporting an enabling environment for nutrition, the programme is implemented in two districts in Malawi, Dedza and Salima, with the objective of improving the nutrition situation and resilience to food crises of women in reproductive age (15 – 49 years) and children under two.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
- Supports with cash management (Maintains the WINPACCS cashbook, manages petty cash, requests petty cash replenishment)
- Supports WINPACCS Cashbook End of Period (EOP) closure.
- Supports in Preparing all cash payment vouchers including travel advances and settlements.
- Supports with encashment of bank cheques.
- Supports with Monitoring and clearing Cashbook receivables.
- Supports Office stocks, records, and updates consumable stock balances.
- Assists in preparation for internal controls.
- Deputies and takes over the WINPACCS bank book in the absence of the accounting specialist.
- Deputizes in all tasks of the accounting specialist in his/her absence.
- Supports the program in management of workshops by coordinating signing of attendance registers and procuring of various items.
- Supports the accounting specialist in compiling payment vouchers for VAT claims.
- Assists in preparation of evaluation sheets and selects the most economical offer from shortlisted suppliers.
- Assists in preparing all orders/LPO for goods and services.
- Assists in receiving goods from suppliers and checks delivery notes against LPO to ensure correct specifications and quantities.
- Assists in receiving and stamping invoices as received from suppliers.
- Assists in compiling all procurement process documents and sends them to the Accounting Specialist for payment processing.
- Assists in Maintaining the E-File for all orders above EUR 1000
C. Event Management
- Assists in receiving quotations sent to the Head of Administration by shortlisted hotels, prepares evaluation sheets and selects the most economical hotel.
- Assists in preparing all orders/LPO for conferences or workshops.
- Assists with receiving invoices and checks against LPO.
- Crosschecks the number of participants on the attendance register against the number of participants on the LPO.
- Compiles all procurement process documents and sends them to the accountant for payment processing.
- Stands in for the logistics assistant on other event management duties.
- Supports filing the process for all orders above EUR 1,000.00 in the E-File.
D. Logistics and administration
- Supports with safe storage of valuable office keys (motor vehicle keys, cabinet keys, storeroom key) and other valuable items e.g. cameras, laptops, monitors, and tablets)
- Stands in for the logistics assistant.
Required qualifications, competences, and experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, with a focus on accounting or related area
- Entry level experience in this area
Other knowledge, additional competences
- basic knowledge of accounting software
- good working knowledge of ITC technologies (related software, phone, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office)
- good knowledge of the English language
- willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management.
The position is tenable in Lilongwe.
Period: 1st April 2024 to 30th September 2024
Method Of Application
Interested candidates meeting the above requirements should submit their electronic applications, with a one-page cover letter demonstrating how they meet the above requirements, along with a detailed CV (max. 5 pages) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The applications should be addressed to:
The Head of HR
P.O. Box 31131
The following reference code of the call for application is strictly to be indicated in the subject line of the applicant’s e-mail: FNSP/2024/01/AFI/Name of applicant.
Clearly Indicate in subject line the position being applied for.
GIZ is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people with disabilities who qualify are encouraged to apply!
Within its activities, GIZ is promoting and protecting human rights, health, and wellbeing, and wishes to contribute to a world free from harm, exploitation, and abuse. Prospective candidates should be willing to adhere to GIZ’ s Child Protection Principles, and Prevent Sexual Exploitation, Abuse and Harassment Policy.
Deadline for receiving applications is 7th February 2024
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Late Applications will not be considered.