Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR)
Reference number: 202371
Job status: In-progress
Job category: Local Position
Duty station: Lilongwe, Malawi
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where trees in all landscapes, from drylands to the humid tropics, enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR and ICRAF are non-profit science institutions that build and apply evidence to today’s most pressing challenges, including energy insecurity and the climate and biodiversity crises. Over a combined total of 65 years, we have built vast knowledge on forests and trees outside of forests in agricultural landscapes (agroforestry). Using a multidisciplinary approach, we seek to improve lives and to protect and restore ecosystems. Our work focuses on innovative research, partnering for impact, and engaging with stakeholders on policies and practices to benefit people and the planet. Founded in 1993 and 1978, CIFOR and ICRAF are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
CIFOR-ICRAF is looking for a
Administration & Finance Assistant – Malawi
Provide administrative and accounts support to the country office ensuring delivery of services is done with high quality, accuracy, and consistency with CIFOR-ICRAF policies and procedures.
Duties and responsibilities
- Assist in organizing official events (workshops, seminars, meetings).
- Prepare payroll for LRP, temporary staff/casual labors and ensure wages are paid on time to all workers.
- ICRAF assets and maintain an accurate asset register; management of vehicle (logbooks, service, mileage).
- Provide receptionist services including answering inquiries.
- Provide procurement services including preparing request forms, collecting quotations and delivering Purchase Orders.
- Maintaining personnel files and updating them; provide support on employee relations activities.
- Support processing of contracts (Letters of Appointments, Consultancies, Temporary Contracts, Contract Renewals).
- Update management and HQ on key Malawi legislation (pension, labour act, employment act, etc.) relating to staff.
- Supervise the driver.
- Assist in staff recruitment process, onboarding new staff and processing of work permit/renewal, and separation process.
- Assist with administration of pension, medical insurances, workman’s compensation and insurance of assets.
- Assist in overseeing security arrangements of office premises.
- Any other duties delegated by head of office.
- Maintain petty cash and disburse as guided by policy on petty cash.
- Assist Finance Officer in preparing financial transactions which include vouchers, Employee Expense Reports, Cash Advances and funds transfers.
- Assist in maintaining proper filing system for finance records: invoices, receipts, delivery orders and contracts.
- Diploma in Administration, bookkeeping, or related field.
- Minimum of 3 years working experience.
- Knowledge of accounting/finance.
- Strong organizational skills and personal attributes of sense of service, responsiveness, efficiency and follow-through; high energy level and the ability to perform as an effective team player.
- Excellent command of written and oral English.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office suite, spreadsheets, and databases.
- Team player.
- Ability to work with people of different nationalities.
Education, knowledge and experience
- •Diploma in Administration, bookkeeping, or related field. •Minimum of 3 years working experience. •Knowledge of accounting/finance. •Strong organizational skills and personal attributes of sense of service, responsiveness, efficiency and follow-through; high energy level and the ability to perform as an effective team player. •Excellent command of written and oral English. •Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office suite, spreadsheets, and databases. •Team player. •Ability to work with people of different nationalities.
Terms and conditions
- •This is a Locally Recruited position. CIFOR-ICRAF offers competitive remuneration in local currency commensurate with skills and experience. •The duty station will be in Lilongwe, Malawi CIFOR-ICRAF Offices.
The application deadline is 12 Nov-2023
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
To apply for this job please visit www.cifor.org.