Banyan Global is an international development consulting firm committed to improving livelihoods through market approaches for a broad and lasting impact. The firm is headquartered in Washington, DC with staff working in a number of developing countries. Banyan Global operates seamlessly within six practice areas: health, finance and investment, enterprise development, gender, youth, and evaluation and learning.
Banyan Global is recruiting an Accountant for a USAID-funded award in Malawi. The primary role of the Accountant is to prepare and examine financial records. S/he will make sure that records are accurate and that taxes are paid properly and on time. The Accountant will report to and work directly with the Finance and Administration Manager. The position is full-time and based in Lilongwe. Citizens of Malawi are encouraged to apply.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Preparing asset, liability, and capital account entries by compiling and analyzing account information;
- Documenting financial transactions by entering account information;
- Recommending financial actions by analyzing accounting options;
- Summarizing current financial status by collecting information; preparing balance sheet, profit and loss statement, and other reports;
- Substantiating financial transactions by auditing documents;
- Maintaining accounting controls by preparing and recommending policies and procedures;
- Reconciling financial discrepancies by collecting and analyzing account information;
- Securing financial information by completing data base backups.
- Maintaining financial security by following internal controls;
- Preparing payments by verifying documentation, and requesting disbursements;
- Answering accounting procedure questions by researching and interpreting accounting policy and regulations;
- Preparing financial reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing account information and trends; and
- Maintaining customer confidence and protects operations by keeping financial information confidential.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting;
- Five years of professional accounting experience, prior USAID experience preferred;
- Excellent analytical and computer skills, including proficiency in Excel and QuickBooks;
- Outstanding organizational, reporting, data entry, and math skills;
- Attention to detail; and
- Excellent time management skills.