Malawi Research and Education Network (MAREN)
The Malawi Research and Education Network (MAREN) is a not-for-profit institution which was founded around 2005 by the University of Malawi Mzuzu University. It was established to create and operate an academic network interconnecting research and education institutions within Malawi and with their regional and global peers through the UbuntuNet Alliance.
The organization became fully operational in 2018 through funding from the Digital Malawi Project a Project of the Malawi Government funded by the World Bank. So far, MAREN has managed to interconnect at least sixty sites including all the public universities at higher bandwidths. To date, the organization has been managed by consultants who were hired by the Project to facilitate its operationalization. Having been capacitated by the Project, MAREN is now in a position to recruit its own staff. Applications are therefore invited from suitably qualified, highly skilled, experienced, competent and visionary Malawians to fill the following position.
The Accountant shall report to the Finance and Administration Manager.
S/he will be responsible for:
- Preparing monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements and supporting schedules.
- Analyzing accounting records, financial statements and other reports to access completeness, accuracy, and conformance to policies and procedures.
- Undertaking monthly budget performance analysis.
- Computing and remitting monthly PAYE, Withholding taxes, pensions and other deductions on a timely basis.
- Following up on receivables and enforce credit control.
- Maintaining the general ledger.
- Maintaining a Fixed Assets Register to track all MAREN assets.
- Maintaining a secured payroll system for MAREN.
- Overseeing procurement of goods and services in liaison with the Procurement Officer.
- Any other duties assigned by MAREN management from time to time.
Qualifications and Experience
A suitable candidate shall:
- Have a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related fields from an accredited institution. Those with professional qualifications on top of the first degree will have added advantage.
- Be a registered member and in good standing with the Malawi Accountants Board (MAB) through the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Malawi (ICAM)
- Have experience working with modern accounting packages as well as computer based spreadsheets
- Have at least 3 years work experience in a similar position in a busy environment
- Be able to work with minimum supervision
- Have ability to work under pressure
- Have ability to work as part of a diverse and inclusive team
- Have high degree of integrity and professionalism
Term of office
The Accountant shall be on a 3 year contract renewable based on performance.
The positions above come with a competitive compensation and benefits package in accordance with MARE’s existing structure of benefits.
Method Of Application
Applicants are invited to submit a cover letter, Curriculum Vitae, and names and contact details of three traceable referees to the Finance and Administration Manager by the following email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications should be received not later than 24th March, 2023.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com