Ministry of Lands
The Ministry is mandated to create an enabling environment for sustained provision of Land, Housing and Urban Development services to promote and encourage sustainable development. In pursuit of this mandate, the Ministry is implementing a flagship project to construct 10,000 houses for Security Institutions across the country in order to provide decent accommodation for security Institutions (Malawi Defence Force, Malawi Police Service, Malawi Prison Service and Immigration and Citizenship Services.
The Ministry of Lands has developed an innovative strategy to fast – track the implementation of the project and wishes to engage suitably qualified and experienced professionals to fill the following vacant posts tenable at the Infrastructure Management Unit – Lilongwe.
Post : Clerk of Works (Grade I) (10 Posts)
Salary : Within the range of Grade I salary scale segment
Reporting to : Principal Architect (Grade G)
Location : Infrastructure Management Unit in the Ministry of Lands, Lilongwe
The applicants must have the following qualifications;
- National Trade Test Grade One (1) in either: Bricklaying, Carpentry and Joinery or Electrical installation with additional qualifications of Advanced Craft Technology, City and Guilds or had undergone certificate training in supervisory works with NCIC:
- Must at least have a minimum of 5 years’ work experience in a busy construction company or firm;
- Those with Advanced Diploma in Construction will have an added advantage;
- Checking that all the working drawings on site are correctly dimensioned in order to allow the contractor execute the works diligently;
- Carrying out daily routine site inspections to make sure that all the contractor’s tools and equipment are in proper working order;
- Keeping daily attendance list of contractor’s workforce such as bricklayers, carpenters and other trades:
- Checking that the site is properly cleared and reduced to take out top soil before setting out and excavations are done;
- Checking that setting out is done according to specifications on the working drawings and that the diagonals do tally;
- Checking that the depths and the width of the excavations are of the specified dimensions;
- Checking that all mixtures are done in accordance with specifications and that a standard gauge box is used to measure the quantities;
- Keeping a correct a inventory of all goods delivered to the site at all times;
- Issuing site works orders to the contractors with copies to the project architect;
- Enforcing the wearing of protective clothing on site at all times by contractors
workforce and all visitors to the site:
- Conducting pre handover snagging of houses together with the architect and other professionals.
Terms and Conditions of Employment
The Ministry of Lands shall offer employment on Non-Established (NE) terms for a period of three (3) years.
Method of Application
Interested applicants who meet the above requirements should submit applications with a detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) and three (3) traceable referees, copies of relevant professional and academic certificates to the address below
The Secretary for Lands,
Private Bag 311,